Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dam Coyote!

Buckhunter

It really stink's to see something like that but it happen's all the time,just nature running her course.That must have been one tough dog to take on a tom turkey though,I grabbed a buddy's bird last week in it's death flop's and he really put the spur's to me,I can not imagine what a lively one would do to ya!!
I wanted to do some coyote hunting in the late winter last year and never did make it out,we sure have a bunch in our area,I here them open up in the evening's as I'm leaving the timber from bowhunting,kinda make's the hair stand up on your neck when there's 5 or 6 of them all howling together at the same time!

Right before lunch I was driving down the road doing the usual scan of the fields when I saw what appeared to be a new spot in the usually barren field. As I got closer I could see it was a coyote pulling a big gobbler across the field. As I got to looking you could see that the field had many feathers spread where the fight had taken place. The odd thing was that not 15 minutes before I had scanned the same spot and nothing had been there. If I had only had the 700 REM 22-250 along, I could have ended that bastards struggle to get the Turkey back to the cover of the woods. Maybe next time.
frown.gif

CH

Pasted a coyote at 10 yards yesterday afternoon. He come a looking for a nice tasty hen and only found 3 1/2" 6 shot up his bunhole! Damn Yotes. Just as bad as them damn stray dogs.

Man, That had to clean the hemmoriods out! Haven't had problems with yotes this spring, just deer. I have seen more deer and have had them screw things up for me than ever before. I have seen 2 or 3 times as many. Should be a good fall.

I know how you feel. I had 3 coyotes run a 140+ inch buck away from my treestand a couple of falls ago. It was going to be a chipshot! Never did get even with those mangy muts, but wasted $15 in arrows and broadheads trying.

camohead the other day i was out riding around scouting and had a red fox cross the road ahead of me, so i hurried up to get alook at him and right in front of him on the other side of the fence was a hen turkey,bout 15 feet ahead of that fox. i spooked them both. no dinner for him
smile.gif

good luck all

Camohead - you sure that wasn't a crippled turkey your coyote made a meal of? There's plenty of damn bastards out there taking long shots and sending wounded birds running back into the timber... Hard to blame a coyote for eating one to survive when we go out and shoot them for fun... Just my 2 cents

I'm not sure if it was wounded or not, there was a truck parked in a place that made me wonder that same thing, but it was across a swollen river from this scene. One thing for sure, that coyote was having one hell of a time getting that big ole tom to cover. He would jerk it maybe a foot every time but could only do that 4 - 5 times then break, he tried to carry it but couldn't and went back to pulling, during this I was yelling, honking, and whistling at him to leave it, but he was determined to get his prize. If i hadn't been working I would have walked out and broke up his reward retrieve.

CH

...I agree with Greywolf...the tom was likely wounded in some way...a healthy tom turkey is too much for most 'yotes...not quite sure why you were trying to scare him off, Camohead...I assume the tom was already dead...he either would have come back to finish his job after you had left or killed another meal...

Coyotes are so nice, I found a disembowled bird this weekend that was more than likely killed by coyotes. What was great were the 1 1/2 inch spurs on the legs I found. Oh well, can't wait till the snow flies and I get the electronic 'yote caller out!

Hershey,

I knew the coyote wasn't going to leave his harvest after I wistled at him, but messing with him was only in my own fun. I see by your profile that you are a Naturalist, so I understand why you asked me "why I was trying to scare him off" from his meal.

Top Bottom