Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer anatomy & recovery reminder pics/diagrams...

And is 6 hours long enough to wait? 8 hours? Lots of rain rolling in tonight... not that there's a blood trail but it certainly won't help.

There’s blood. Hope you’re tracking!!! Update!!
Any update on this?!
No good news. Followed blood for 4 hours Tuesday afternoon. Very slow going with mostly just drops to follow. No bright blood that I'm used to seeing from lung hits. No bubbles in anything. Never found an arrow, so maybe it was still in him but there's enough vegetation that we could've just missed it. Tracked him a little over 400 yards as the crow flies before losing blood Tuesday evening. In that distance he never bedded or stopped and stood anywhere for any significant amount of time from what I could tell. Not that that necessarily means anything, but I'd think he would've laid down at some point if he was hurting bad. I went back yesterday morning and walked the crick, the standing corn field nearest to where we lost blood, and as much of the cover in the crick bottom to the best of my ability but didn't find anything. What sucks is IF he is dead somewhere, I easily could have walked within 10 feet of him and not seen him... absolute jungle out there. Lots of leaves and green vegetation yet so it's hard to see any significant distance. Took 3 more cameras and put them up while I was out there hoping to maybe get a picture of him soon. At this point I'm praying it was above the spine and he recovers. Disgusted with myself for screwing it up and I hope he's alright. Would love to get another crack at him. I also asked the farmer that farms that ground to keep an eye out when combining corn. Would be great if they found him but more importantly so they don't eat him with the corn header or put an antler through a combine tire. I'd rather not end up with that bill, ha!

Background on this buck... this is the third year I've hunted him. Been a tall 8 pointer all three years, has always been the same size, and his rack has been almost exactly the same each year. He's got an absolute Clydesdale of a body. In addition to the obvious rack, he's got a notch in his left ear that makes him really easy to ID. I've never been one to name deer but my girlfriend told me a few weeks ago that this one needed a name and wanted to name him so I tasked her with coming up with a name. I'm a big Atlanta Braves fan and if you're a baseball person, you know they are playing the Houston Astros in the World Series right now. So since I'd like my Braves to kill the Astros over the next few days, she settled on Astro a few days ago hoping I'd kill him too, HA! Here's to Astro and the Astros both meeting their demise in the next couple weeks!

No good news. Followed blood for 4 hours Tuesday afternoon. Very slow going with mostly just drops to follow. No bright blood that I'm used to seeing from lung hits. No bubbles in anything. Never found an arrow, so maybe it was still in him but there's enough vegetation that we could've just missed it. Tracked him a little over 400 yards as the crow flies before losing blood Tuesday evening. In that distance he never bedded or stopped and stood anywhere for any significant amount of time from what I could tell. Not that that necessarily means anything, but I'd think he would've laid down at some point if he was hurting bad. I went back yesterday morning and walked the crick, the standing corn field nearest to where we lost blood, and as much of the cover in the crick bottom to the best of my ability but didn't find anything. What sucks is IF he is dead somewhere, I easily could have walked within 10 feet of him and not seen him... absolute jungle out there. Lots of leaves and green vegetation yet so it's hard to see any significant distance. Took 3 more cameras and put them up while I was out there hoping to maybe get a picture of him soon. At this point I'm praying it was above the spine and he recovers. Disgusted with myself for screwing it up and I hope he's alright. Would love to get another crack at him. I also asked the farmer that farms that ground to keep an eye out when combining corn. Would be great if they found him but more importantly so they don't eat him with the corn header or put an antler through a combine tire. I'd rather not end up with that bill, ha!

Background on this buck... this is the third year I've hunted him. Been a tall 8 pointer all three years, has always been the same size, and his rack has been almost exactly the same each year. He's got an absolute Clydesdale of a body. In addition to the obvious rack, he's got a notch in his left ear that makes him really easy to ID. I've never been one to name deer but my girlfriend told me a few weeks ago that this one needed a name and wanted to name him so I tasked her with coming up with a name. I'm a big Atlanta Braves fan and if you're a baseball person, you know they are playing the Houston Astros in the World Series right now. So since I'd like my Braves to kill the Astros over the next few days, she settled on Astro a few days ago hoping I'd kill him too, HA! Here's to Astro and the Astros both meeting their demise in the next couple weeks!
Shots above spine usually recover. Cold temps lesson the chance of infection. We have got 2nd shots on deer hit high before or seen them bounce right back. Probably a flesh wound & I hope you get your next crack at him!

I shot a buck last night it was a bit low and back had really decent blood trail. What threw me off was there were several pieces of fat like 2.5 inches wide by 6 to 8 inches long and about 1/4 inch thick literally hanging in the brush along the blood trail. I have never experienced this before. We found his first bed about 80 yards from spot I shot him. We followed blood this am for 200 + yards and found 3 beds with blood in them within 30 yards of each other, 4th bed had no blood then could not find another drop. What could this mean. Was the shot in no man's land or what? I have never seen that big of pieces of fat just hanging on brush before and I have shot lots of deer and been hunting for 25 plus years!

I shot a buck last night it was a bit low and back had really decent blood trail. What threw me off was there were several pieces of fat like 2.5 inches wide by 6 to 8 inches long and about 1/4 inch thick literally hanging in the brush along the blood trail. I have never experienced this before. We found his first bed about 80 yards from spot I shot him. We followed blood this am for 200 + yards and found 3 beds with blood in them within 30 yards of each other, 4th bed had no blood then could not find another drop. What could this mean. Was the shot in no man's land or what? I have never seen that big of pieces of fat just hanging on brush before and I have shot lots of deer and been hunting for 25 plus years!
I had a similar situation this year with the exception of the strips of fat, beds close together then no blood. Never could find him. I shot a buck years ago with a 7mm mag and I couldn't believe the fat hanging all over brush and trees, some 5' up on branches, crazy scene! Hope you find him, good luck.

I had a similar situation this year with the exception of the strips of fat, beds close together then no blood. Never could find him. I shot a buck years ago with a 7mm mag and I couldn't believe the fat hanging all over brush and trees, some 5' up on branches, crazy scene! Hope you find him, good luck.
I never did find him I assume he survived.

I never did find him I assume he survived.
It’s good too review even for us old farts. A good shot is right above the front leg years ago I thought that was a bad shot I thought the shoulder was right above the leg I was wrong sometimes I would hit to far back just trying to avoid that area that was really a good shot .

Top Bottom