Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Behavior

BowHunter84

Ok, today i was out in the tree stand, did not see a single deer, my question to you all is; Do deer move well in the cold? During October i seen a lot more deer than i am now, basically my choice of location is like a ghost town right now. Is it because it is too cold right now and they dont move well?

Right now your hunting in the worse time for natural deer movement, shotgun season, waning full moon, post rut and cold weather. Your best bet is to find a good food source that is being used and stake it out back in the timber on a good entry trail between it and the bedding area. Look for bedding areas that face south-southwest later in the day. Deer need food first and foremost when cold weather comes to keep their body temps up and will move a little as possible to get it. Hunt the does in this way and if there are bucks around they will show, especially if a fawn comes in heat late.
grin.gif
Good luck!

G6

Deer love the cold. It's pretty much the colder the better. The rut will really have the deer moving in late Oct, and hunting pressure will shut down alot of daylight deer movement, so that probably explains the lack of action.

Just curious. Are you huning the late season?

WOW G6! You a regular Greg Miller! I'm impressed! Good answer.

Your dashing my hopes for BP season though. I need to be encouraged man! Tell me again about the one that got away.
tongue.gif

Hey, I bet you liked that little Christmas present. You can cover the motel!

Scout wrote:
WOW G6! You a regular Greg Miller! I'm impressed! Good answer.

No comment on that one Scout. ;-)

>Your dashing my hopes for BP season though. I need to be encouraged man! Tell me again about the one that got away. <

Tell ya what I'll let ya know what things look like when I go Xmas day and give you a call Thursday.

>Hey, I bet you liked that little Christmas present. You can cover the motel!<

I don't think we could get one that cheap! ;-) Merry Christmas to you and the family.

G6

I learned that like humans, when it is cold out deer like to sit still, sleep, and generally lounge around unless it's time to eat or the Mrs. gets antsy.
rolleyes.gif

Top Bottom