Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Decoy

Spysar

I'm talking about specifically in Iowa. Do they work? Buck or doe decoy? I've never tried one.

I have a buddy in Iowa who swears by the DSD buck decoy. In fact, I purchased one based on his recommendation and the results he has had from using it.

I'm talking about specifically in Iowa. Do they work? Buck or doe decoy? I've never tried one.
I killed my buck over one last year. I don't use it a lot, but in the right circumstance they can be lethal.
Mine sure isn't one of those new expensive rigs though. He's been missing an ear for about 15 years. Lol
Here he is taking a smoke bath before a successful hunt last October.
IMG_20240907_180753.jpg

Have had pretty good luck with the flambeau boss buck decoy during the pre-rut. As mentioned will get some bad responses from time to time. Had some good responses to a cheap foam doe archery target during the rut years ago before I got the boss buck. Downside is it's awkward and loud so usually only use it for field hunts where I can drop it off right in front of the blind during afternoon hunts.

Have had pretty good luck with the flambeau boss buck decoy during the pre-rut. As mentioned will get some bad responses from time to time. Had some good responses to a cheap foam doe archery target during the rut years ago before I got the boss buck. Downside is it's awkward and loud so usually only use it for field hunts where I can drop it off right in front of the blind during afternoon hunts.
Agree on this.

When I do use it I usually hide it in the timber afterward if I know I will be back to hunt the same setup

Used one about 30 years ago and the SOB almost looked like it glowed in the dark right at dusk. Scared off the deer coming in. I'm sure they are much better quality now but I'm still a ways away from ever touching one again :cool:

I've had some cool hunts over a decoy, but it has challenges. My biggest one is how to retrieve it after a hunt when it didn't work. I always use mine in an open field setting and you have to get it after the hunt. Can't leave it there. That often involves deer still in the field and it hasn't turned out good for me in that regard. :D

I've had some cool hunts over a decoy, but it has challenges. My biggest one is how to retrieve it after a hunt when it didn't work. I always use mine in an open field setting and you have to get it after the hunt. Can't leave it there. That often involves deer still in the field and it hasn't turned out good for me in that regard. :D

Interesting point.. hadn't thought of that.

The only time I've used a decoy, I ended up shooting a buck over it. Worked incredibly well. But my sample size is only 1 :)

Top Bottom