Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Public Meetings

Was this the first notification you received? I believe it was for me. Thanks for posting and sorry for the duplicate post.

This was the best of these meetings I have attended in the last several years (Des Moines). It was interesting to see several western Iowa counties were down over 30% in deer population.
The best part was there were at least 2 legislatures attending. I thanked them for attending and listening to hunters as I know they are hearing from lots of special interest groups (crossbow companies, gun companies, and wealthy non residents). Their comment was they didn't see any deer bills moving forward this year based on the info they heard last night as well as what they have seen over the last year or so.

I went to the Iowa City meeting last night and I feel it was a waste of time. They kept saying to contact your legislators on most of the issues brought up, due to executive order 10 that prevents them from giving input on regulation changes. I guess this order is to sunset in a year or so, but I'd still recommend lobbying your reps in DSM over contacting the DNR.

Executive order 10 orders them to evaluate and propose what rules to eliminate and which ones to keep or amend. It’s asking for their input so I’m lost on their excuses. It specifically requires them to “engage the public for meaningful input”. Link:

It doesn’t sound like it was directed at or intended to affect hunting and fishing either:

Iowa's Administrative Code contains over 20,000 pages and 190,000 restrictive terms, putting undue burden on Iowans and the state's economy, increasing costs for employers, slowing job growth, and impacting private sector investments,” stated Gov. Reynolds. “In Iowa, we’re taking a commonsense approach that gets government out of the way and leads to a more robust economy in every community.”

The Executive Order also directs a comprehensive evaluation and rigorous cost benefit analysis of existing rules to evaluate their public benefits, whether the benefits justify the cost, and whether there are less restrictive alternatives to achieve their intended goal

I attended a meeting in Grundy Cty this week that was geared towards CWD. Grundy had its first confirmed case this year. Nothing really new was revealed. Slowing the spread is still the goal. Interestingly they advocated having each dear harvested to be tested and if positive dispose of it and not consuming it. It’s a very gray area in my mind similar to Covid. I appreciate the honesty of “we just don’t know but here’s what we do know” mentality. It’s a tough line to ride without being too lax or over cautious. Appreciated the meeting and it was well presented.

Top Bottom