Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR to host Western Iowa deer population meetings in July

The session walked through how the deer population has been declining in western iowa. Looked at the possible factors, like habitat, land use, predators, disease, hunting regulations, etc. Then discussed the one lever that the DNR can actually control to help impact population which is the number of licenses issued. The county that I live in (Cass) antlerless tags will be at 0 for 2024.

What I came away with is that the DNR’s hands are really tied by the legislature. Anything that was suggested that is discussed on this forum, like limiting the season length, removing doe tags from NR, eliminating rifles, etc were deflected as legislative issues and the DNR can’t control.

Thus, the need for IBA and ISC and everyone on here to be talking with their state reps.

Here are some of the charts that I grabbed some pics…

a1d5713a3b4d733d020fbc54315643f1.jpg

af351189d0c2eba73fe7cf97441344bb.jpg

a77db636918aeddceaeec530a725a557.jpg

77c63caa7180aeaa9f86a0ce6f247134.jpg

6199e0bb3528ce5c07ab7140988f680d.jpg

76d63c86ada2bc19c2d7bc61af50b251.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The session walked through how the deer population has been declining in western iowa. Looked at the possible factors, like habitat, land use, predators, disease, hunting regulations, etc. Then discussed the one lever that the DNR can actually control to help impact population which is the number of licenses issued. The county that I live in (Cass) antlerless tags will be at 0 for 2024.

What I came away with is that the DNR’s hands are really tied by the legislature. Anything that was suggested that is discussed on this forum, like limiting the season length, removing doe tags from NR, eliminating rifles, etc were deflected as legislative issues and the DNR can’t control.

Thus, the need for IBA and ISC and everyone on here to be talking with their state reps.

Here are some of the charts that I grabbed some pics…

a1d5713a3b4d733d020fbc54315643f1.jpg

af351189d0c2eba73fe7cf97441344bb.jpg

a77db636918aeddceaeec530a725a557.jpg

77c63caa7180aeaa9f86a0ce6f247134.jpg

6199e0bb3528ce5c07ab7140988f680d.jpg

76d63c86ada2bc19c2d7bc61af50b251.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shelby and Story County both heavily underreported. Family found more that the county total during Fall harvest in Shelby. I found more than the county total during spring shed season on a single public land parcel in Story County (heads had previously been removed)

They assume under reporting in their data and decision making about EHD. In September I talked to the CO when he came out to confirm an EHD deer in Appanoose about that. The numbers on that infographic are only the ones that an IDNR staff has confirmed, not the ones that were simply called in. They do that to retain the integrity of the data. I agree though, I found 8 in one day this spring on a single 160ac parcel in Fremont county.

EHD was way underreported in Monona County…..contrary If they cut off doe tags, I hope it’s not for long, as it can change back in a hurry.

Next thing we will see farmers getting depredation tags in 2-3 years.

It’s a fine line !

Last edited:
They assume under reporting in their data and decision making about EHD. In September I talked to the CO when he came out to confirm an EHD deer in Appanoose about that. The numbers on that infographic are only the ones that an IDNR staff has confirmed, not the ones that were simply called in. They do that to retain the integrity of the data. I agree though, I found 8 in one day this spring on a single 160ac parcel in Fremont county.
That graphic does more harm than good if they are knowingly underreporting. They should issue two graphics then, one for confirmed and one for unverified.

You're not going to see the numbers we had say eight to ten years ago no matter how many licenses you take away. Some areas will not see an increase of deer due to loss of habitat due to farming or city growth or storm damage. EHD hit heavier populated areas hard, but some areas it didn't touch. Unfortunately, good habitat will only support so many deer and needs to be managed for them to stay healthy. Some areas will have really good numbers, but those areas people hunt that's losing habitat for whatever reason, deer just aren't going to stay there and they'll be the first to yell the numbers are down, what are we going to do? I live in Cass county, You can drive around a few sections and see
brushy creek bottoms, maybe a few old homesteads, brushy fence rows and small areas of cover. Drive the same area maybe a few months later, some of those areas are gone. Deer are not going to stay there and go to the better areas which in turn more hunters say they're not seeing very many deer.

Top Bottom