Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Do injured bucks continue there rut routine?

S

Shooter

How often do bucks resume there routine of the rut after they've been wounded? If at all. I have heard their instinct to breed overwhelms there injury? Is there any truth to this or do they completely concentrate of healing after a nonfatal wound? Coments please.

Yes,years ago I hit a buck in the shoulder and a week later he came through the same spot checking scrapes.I didn't have much penetation because it was a 40lb. recurve.

i agree, last year i rattled in a buck only to have my bowstring dig in under my armguard. i hit him in the back left leg "thigh" area, he ran off and i couldn't find him. the very next saturday i rattled in a buck and stuck him good. when i skinned him there was a 4 bladed muzzy hole in the same place on his left thigh area. it was the same stand, the same time of day and i'm 100% convinced it was the same deer. it's just funny how things like that can work out. even though he was limping he was ready for a fight and some breeding.

In 1996 I shot a 2 1/2 year old buck with an arrow and completely broke his shoulder. He escaped. One month later I saw him hobbling, breeding one of 4 does he was with. Then again a month later. With does. All 3 sightings were within 200 yards.

A few years back I shot a buck that grossed 151. He was limping when I first saw him, I shot him while he was working a scrape. Later I found out from the neighbor that he had hit the same deer the weekend before with his car. The deer's front leg was broke and was flopping all over, and he was still working a scrape when I shot him.

T.D.

In 86 I shot a buck that I thought was a good shot but only penetrated about 6 inches. I never did find anything outside of about 200 yards of good blood trail that looked like lung hit. While shotgun hunting the following winter 14 months later I shot the same buck. How do I know you ask? Well he had my 6 inch piece of my arrow was still protruding out of his hide about an inch or so. It had completely healed around the shaft and showed no signs of infection around the shaft or the broadhead. It had lodged very close to entering the chest cavity hehind the shoulder. Yep he was chasing late estrus does. ;-)

G6

I had the same thing happen tonight. First time I hunted a new place. Saw 3 150 class deer stand up in CRP. Then of course they worked out into a cornfield, just far enough for me to spook all of them leaving!!! DAMN.

I'm going to setup on the end of a draw that comes up beside the crp the next time I go out!! I gets real exciting when they walk by at eye level!!

By the way, the larger bucks were completely ignoring the does tonight!! I was a bit suprised!

Good luck

I believe so. Does included.

Years ago I had an arrow deflected by a branch and hit a rut (zombie) buck in the back leg and it cut it almost completely off bone and all. He did not even acknowledge that it happened. He started walking without hardly breaking his stride as he was checking a scrape line. By the grace of God, I got another shot and finished him.

Another time I seen a doe being tended by a buck in a picked bean field after shotgun season that had a front leg blown off and dangling by the hide but still very much in heat I would guess.

A doe ran around me one time that had an arrow high in her back with a buck chasing her. She did not seem to be bothered by the arrow at all.

Their purpose appears to be to survive in spite of us.

Top Bottom