Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dog Kennel

K

klg53

offtopic.gif
Just wondering if anyone had advice on building a kennel for a black lab. How high of fence panels should I use? I could get either 4, 5 or 6 foot panels. Also, I've never had a dog in town before, will she be happy in a 4x10 outside pen with a 5x5 area inside the garage?

. I think she would be happier inside! Have you tried to keep her inside? Labs need to be close to their owners and loved. Our black lab has became one of the family and now sleeps under the covers with my wife and I, he would be crushed to have to stay outside

icon_headbang.gif

my dogs are both house and kennel dogs. 6' is the shortest I would go. 10x10x6 is the demensions per dog. They would be in the house more if they were not long-haired dogs.

I probably will keep her inside quite a bit when we're home, but she will be staying outside during the day when we're working. It'll take a lot of convincing before my wife will let both me and a dog sleep in the same bed as her. I think in my two years of marriage i've been on the couch more than most guys are in their whole life. Small price to pay to get as much hunting time as I do.

I have a 100 pound choclate lab who is just like one of the kids. We keep him inside year round. He is great with my kids, house broken, hell he even sleeps in bed with us. The only draw back is he "sheds" a bit. Not the way a bowhunter would like thought. I agree with Rudd, at least 6 foot walls, and as big of an area that you can swing.

I know that Labs are very notorious for digging under fences and plowing right throught them. I had to put a bottom rail on the chain link fence when I built it to help stabilizer it. This was after chasing him around town a few times from bulldozing right under.
good luck

I ended up with a padlock on the latch and a concrete pad and a roof. Every time I made an adjustment she figured another way out. Now that she's getting older and my wife is getting softer she is in the house 99.99% of the time. I guess what I'm saying is don't underestimate their ability to escape. Only when mine was built like Fort Knox did she stay in. Maggs

I have a lab at home and it is inside 100% of the time. They are fine in the house, and in my opinion better socialized that way. The lab is about 8 now and I know she sleeps 23 hours a day and eats the rest of the time. They are great dogs, and good luck!

stalker53,
That is what we did right away is put her outside (the dog not my wife) during the day and let her in during the evening. We had a walk out basement and a deck over the patio so I just set the kennel on the cement (6 X 6 X 12) built her a nice house and she was fine. Since then we have moved into a new home and now she is in the house all the time. Not allowed on the furniture or in our bed. However during waterfowl trips she sleeps on the bed and I sleep on the floor. I figure if she is going to jump into 45 degree water and fetch my ducks she can sleep in the bed!
busted.gif

I also put a lock on the door of the kennel.

2699Maggie-med.jpg

LIMP
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
evil.gif
. I believe that's the second time for that typo, isn't it LC?
doah.gif

Yep second time total that is a first for this site though...
busted.gif
As I recall the other was on the bowfight...
evil.gif
No blue pill for me yet...
bigshock.gif

Go Early, Stay ----.... Limp Chicken
bawling.gif

Top Bottom