Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

double bull shoot thru screen question

J

jdavis

I have taken several turkeys with my bow out of DB blind but have always shot thru one of the holes not the mesh. Has anyone shot though the mesh? How much does it effect the arrow flight?

I like you have used the unsceened openings for taking turkey. Because I have heard so often just how intollerant deer are of the black hole effect of the unsceened openings I've made a point of hunting deer through the sceens. With my very limited experience I can tell you that I have had zero problems shooting through the sceens. I used a three blade muzzy instead of my perfered spitfire mechanical. I also tried to make sure I was shooting strait through the screen, wanting to avoid shooting through at an odd angle that may or may not deflect the arrow a bit. Double Bull has tips on thier web site. doublebullarchery.com

I had inconsistent flight with mechanicals through the screen. Like ironwood, I switched to muzzy's and they're darts through the netting as long as the screen is set up straight and tight. Good luck!

NWBuck

QDMer, like the other guys on this thread said, don't use a mechanical broadhead. I shot at an antelope at 25 yards with a rocket hammerhead broadhead and ended up watching my arrow fly a foot over his back. I looked at the hole in the screen and had two short slits on the sides and one long one on the top. Looked like the blade hooked and opened on me. I have tried some muzzy's when I was practicing and they flew pretty good. I think I would still limit my shot distance though.

As long as the netting is pulled tight (we actually pin the sides to the windows frame) any reasonable fixed blade should fly just fine. Make sure to shoot straight on, and not at a angle to the netting/window.

We have tested and harvested animals with Rocket Steelhead 100's. From our experience they fly great. I took a javilina through both lungs a couple of years ago at 50 yards and my partner has taken a coues buck at 52 yards.

You should definitely avoid mechanicals with "wings" on the end of the blades, as they will grab the netting and badly affect arrow flight. Rocket Hammerheads have "wings"...Steelheads do not. Spitfires will not work either. I think the best advice is do some test shooting and find out what works best from your setup.

thanks guys, I'll use muzzys and shoot straight. This ought to be an experience!!

Top Bottom