Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drilling beans

When drilling beans whats the best planting protocol for herbicide and fertilizer?

Do you drill fertilizer in with beans and spray roundup over top after?

Spray before or after is just fine or rather…. Can work. Due to all the “hard to kill weeds” I almost always spray a week in advance with adding 2,4-d to smoke those weeds.
My protocol is simple but the order could be shuffled. There’s a reason I do it the way I do… I fertilize as Early as possible. So it has time to break down. Maybe it’s towards end of winter. Or maybe I did it the year before with my corn fertilization & bumped the rates up a lot so it would be there for beans. All but Nitrogen- putting it down is $ in the bank….
I always have lime applied - usually ag lime or add pelletized same time I fertilize.
I spray gly 2,4-d & I’ll add a pre-emergent cocktail like zidua pro, fierce xlt or a # of really good pre blends u can get. Plant my beans usually about a week later…. Ideal would be: spray, have it rain, dry up and plant.
If u add the pre-emergents.., I get by with one more spray & sometimes I’ll add another pre (like s-metolachlor) if there’s a good bit of growing window left. By the time I might want to overseed into beans- I personally have no issue with pre-emergents being in soil. Iowa weather, heat & rains. Never been an issue for me. That protocol will yield great results. U can run a million variations of this method - just understand which herbicides u can’t use at planting or after & consider timeframes on fertilizers breaking down. It’s never too late to add fertilizers as it starts breaking down, building your soil & u will have a plant that utilizes it. Soil sample & get that fertility built up asap.

Spray before or after is just fine or rather…. Can work. Due to all the “hard to kill weeds” I almost always spray a week in advance with adding 2,4-d to smoke those weeds.
My protocol is simple but the order could be shuffled. There’s a reason I do it the way I do… I fertilize as Early as possible. So it has time to break down. Maybe it’s towards end of winter. Or maybe I did it the year before with my corn fertilization & bumped the rates up a lot so it would be there for beans. All but Nitrogen- putting it down is $ in the bank….
I always have lime applied - usually ag lime or add pelletized same time I fertilize.
I spray gly 2,4-d & I’ll add a pre-emergent cocktail like zidua pro, fierce xlt or a # of really good pre blends u can get. Plant my beans usually about a week later…. Ideal would be: spray, have it rain, dry up and plant.
If u add the pre-emergents.., I get by with one more spray & sometimes I’ll add another pre (like s-metolachlor) if there’s a good bit of growing window left. By the time I might want to overseed into beans- I personally have no issue with pre-emergents being in soil. Iowa weather, heat & rains. Never been an issue for me. That protocol will yield great results. U can run a million variations of this method - just understand which herbicides u can’t use at planting or after & consider timeframes on fertilizers breaking down. It’s never too late to add fertilizers as it starts breaking down, building your soil & u will have a plant that utilizes it. Soil sample & get that fertility built up asap.
I just mowed mine off, was going to do corn and life got in the way this year. Reckon I could plant beans next weekend and be ok? I mowed the weeds off last Saturday the 8th.

Top Bottom