Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drilling seed or Broadcasting

ELK919

Ive got a guy with a drill that is willing to drill in some milo/sorghum seed in, next weekend (just havent had time to get it in yet, the seed was free and Im not harvesting, just trying to buildup the soil).

However with fall food plot plantings coming up soon, Would you just add fall mixtures of seed with the milo seed and drill it all in a one time? OR Would you drill the milo seed in, then come back and broadcast the fall blends of brassicas, clover, etc in August?

Side Note: I am planning on either doing cereal rye or winter wheat as a cover crop and will broadcast that around Labor day weekend.

Is it actual WGF (90 Day) Milo? If so, you still have time to get a decent milo crop. But don't wait past this weekend to plant.

Without some sort of weed control, you won't have bare ground to broadcast into come August or September..

I think you need to decide if you want a milo field, or a brassica/cereal grain field.

Is it actual WGF (90 Day) Milo? If so, you still have time to get a decent milo crop. But don't wait past this weekend to plant.

Without some sort of weed control, you won't have bare ground to broadcast into come August or September..

I think you need to decide if you want a milo field, or a brassica/cereal grain field.
I am converting pasture land to about 4.5 acre plot. So the soil is not great (pH -5.9 -6.1), so realistically I am not sure how much will grow.... I have both forage milo and grain milo seed. but yes it is a 90 day seed. I am not expecting a great crop until can build the soil up a bit more organicly.... but I also am not looking at spending a lot of money on chemical, lime, fertilizer, etc... its more of a hobby... I know I will have to spend some but the less the better.

I guess my thought was if the milo grows excellent, if it doesnt well Im not out anything besides time and maybe some of the other seed would come up.

I am converting pasture land to about 4.5 acre plot. So the soil is not great (pH -5.9 -6.1), so realistically I am not sure how much will grow.... I have both forage milo and grain milo seed. but yes it is a 90 day seed. I am not expecting a great crop until can build the soil up a bit more organicly.... but I also am not looking at spending a lot of money on chemical, lime, fertilizer, etc... its more of a hobby... I know I will have to spend some but the less the better.

I guess my thought was if the milo grows excellent, if it doesnt well Im not out anything besides time and maybe some of the other seed would come up.

You may be surprised. I’ve grown a great Milo crop in 5.6 pH before, but we had timely rains. Used about 80# N / acre.

Even with brassicas you’ll want to fertilize some. Otherwise, can always wait until late August and drill in a cereal grain mix. Some combination of Rye/wheat/oats/peas/clover.
No inputs needed there..

5.9-6.1 isn’t that bad.
I’d plant it and fertilize it with straight nitrogen. It’s a plant that always seems to make even in drought or poor soil.

Top Bottom