Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Email/Letter on SF553 Going on TONIGHT.....

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I just whipped this up. This is how I do things... I rattle off my "long winded rant" in about 15 mins. WHICH IS BELOW. Let it sit. Then in a bit I'll clean it up & condense it. The first folks I'm sending to with some customized tweaks.... Sen Driscoll, Klimesh, etc. Here's draft. It'll get cleaned up of course & clearly many of you have heard these things a few times. I'm repeat them until we don't see these bad bills!!!!!!!! HERE'S THE EMAIL LIST: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/senate

Dear Senator ,
My name is Charles "Skip" Sligh, I am a farmer, hunter & own ___ Acres in Iowa. I let countless people hunt my ground for free. Access to quality hunting is the #1 issue facing RESIDENTS! We have less than 8% timber statewide. 4.5 months of deer season, 7 seasons & 6+ weapons. We are 48 of 50 for public lands. Please STOP the changes to the Deer regulations! All these changes, like below, will ruin this last great state.
I STRONGLY OPPOSE THIS AMMENDMENT BY Senator Driscoll to SF553. Giving more favors to Non-Residents & selling out our resource. Here's why:
  1. It's one more favor to the folks that don't live here, vote here & control our Deer Population like Residents.
  2. It's 500+ less spots for Residents. Permission is how 99% of Residents get out each year! They are hurting badly as it is!
  3. This is meant as a stepping stone to grant these Deer Tags to all NR's who identify as family. Or, the house bill, which will give tags to landowners to Auction off to the highest bidder. All these changes will RUIN this last great state of Iowa - RUIN the hunting here! There's a reason thousands flee to hunt Iowa - it's the last state that hasn't been destroyed like all the others. I'm surrounded by NR's from: WI, MI, MN, PA, IL, etc. They have ruined the management of our state. Don't allow the same here.
  4. Our Deer Population is down 25% in the last 10 years. We have 3 programs for high deer #'s: A) Depredation tags B ) DNR Officers have waiting list of RESIDENTS wanting a place to hunt to shoot does (that list never gets the access it needs) C) We pay landowners, like myself, to make their ground Walk-In so other Residents can use it and lower deer #'s.
  5. SF581 was past last year to study deer population dynamics & not enact new bills until findings after the 3 year period.
  6. Iowa's last great deer hunting & managed age structure is under assault by special interests. I've been doing countless podcasts on this issue & have been getting calls/requests from around the country to help iwith similar threats in other states. I run Iowawhitetail.com is here to defend this last great fragile state & to help hunters across the country. Our Youtube channel for Conservation & helping hunters. I've been to the capitol half a dozen times this year to voice up for thousands of Resident hunters (and NR's who don't want to see Iowa ruined like the rest). We have reached a tipping point as hunters fending off all these destructive bills. NO MORE. Please, help the CITIZENS & RESIDENTS (& The NR's where the majority want Iowa to stay great as they've destroyed their state!) to preserve this tiny slice of balanced management & quality hunting. Quality hunting & Access are the only things keeping new hunters in the sport- without it, they will quit. PLEASE STAND UP FOR THE RESIDENTS & NO TO THE SPECIAL INTERESTS & HIDDEN MOTIVES. NO TO SF553 & any amendments. Be ready next year as the assault on our last great fragile resource is coming. I'm meeting with several of your peers at the capitol & glad to make time to stop by for a brief chat.
THANK YOU!! "Skip" Charles Sligh

****The BIll SF553....

Only change this week is an amendment by Sen. Driscoll.

Senator Driscoll (Sen. From Iowa County) has offered an amendment to SF553, A bill to allow nonresident family members to obtain a deer license without going through the lottery process.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=90&ba=S-3143

The amendment reserves 500 of the current 6000 nonresident tags for nonresident family members.
We almost all supported a three year study for deer population management. This study was agreed to by both agriculture and outdoor parties. This study is supposed to come up with solutions to the deer population problems and they need to wait until the study is completed before making changes to existing deer hunting rules and regulations. The study is part of SF581 from last year's session. Every Republican voted in favor of SF581.

I hurried this up. CLEANED UP.... 4 emails out: DRISCOLL, ZAUN, KLIMESH & the senator in my district. I'll get an email to every single senator.

I’d remove the displacing 500 residents part. It’s not. It’s coming out of the 6k NR tags that sellout each year. It’s still 6 k total NR tags.

I think he means that 500 landowners will let their non resident family hunt in a place that a resident had permission to hunt previously. In other words, the resident will let their family hunt now, instead of their friends and neighbors. Is that right?

Maybe. The qualifying NR family member must hunt on the residents farm unit. At most it may add a hunter to a resident farm unit or it could displace someone. Who knows.

Believe it or not, you might like that relation rule.
Up until about 20 yrs ago there was no limit on residents coming from the rest of Canada to hunt whitetail in Sask, and it was wherever they wanted - my area would get flooded with Alberta hunters.
Then they came up with a draw with a quota for each wildlife management zone. They also gave preference to relatives of Saskatchewan residents so the kids that fled to Alberta oilfields could come home to hunt. Our zone gave out 130 tags or so. Probably half were related to residents.
We were hit with some herd reducing winters around ten years ago and that quota was reduced to 30. Now pretty much all tags drawn are awarded to relatives and honestly that's the way it should be.

As long as those 6000 tags suffer the first reductions to opportunity if your deer population decreases, I don't see how enforcing a portion of those to relatives could be a bad thing.

Got several responses. Here’s example. & listen closely…. “I have heard same points from almost every Iowan who had reached out on this legislation”.
FOLKS…. They all have. Which leads me to 2 things…. 1) we will win this. & 2) by definition - the folks pumping this garbage are willfully ignoring their constituents!!!!!!!!!!!

*see link she sent below. I’m emailing all
Of them. D or R- the D’s are on the right side of things. A small handful of republicans are sell outs. We do not need to accept sell outs in office. Why we have primaries, elections, etc. Props to Senator Trone!!’

“Hello Skip,
Thank you for reaching out. I’m not a hunter, so I really appreciate when hunters reach out and share their thoughts. And I have heard the same points from almost every Iowan who has reached out to me on this legislation.

I was on the subcommittee for this particular bill and I voted against it. I also spoke and voted against it in committee. It is eligible for debate, but I don’t know if it would have any chance in the House at this point in the session. It could come up again next year.

Please always feel welcome to contact me. If you haven’t already, you could also share your thoughts with the Republican leadership in the senate and encourage them to drop the idea: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/leadership

Sarah Trone Garriott
IA State Senator for District 14: Waukee, Adel, Van Meter, and Dallas County WDM/Clive
Facebook and Twitter @sarahforiowa
515-661-9679

I’d remove the displacing 500 residents part. It’s not. It’s coming out of the 6k NR tags that sellout each year. It’s still 6 k total NR tags.
I hear u. I cleaned that part up so that’s a non-issue. Confusing & removed that part.

I did ADD one thing... I know some aren't fans of this BUT this almost nullifies their argument for this BS....
  1. Family Members can ALREADY HUNT HERE WITH PARTY TAGS WITH ARE TRANSFERRABLE FOR DEER!

Last edited:
Last one for tonight… THIS IS HOW WE WON & WILL WIN THIS LAST ONE!!! Customized email to every one of them. Took me 90 mins. Is everyone gonna do this? NO. But- those willing - it works. ACTION WINS!!!!! We will win!!!
This has lead to a few more meetings coming up to discuss future. Or as I call it…. OFFENSE!!!! Lot of other things coming. Good guys need to win. We will win. Thanks to u all!!!!

A0C5A17A-A1C3-4F29-A324-7859E557E654.jpeg

Top Bottom