Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Evolution of a food plot

Shredder

Life Member
I planted two food plots just to dink around and see what I could do. I had a local farmer do the dirt work for me and Silvertip and I did the spraying, my dad did the mowing, and I planted, fertilized, and nurtured it along with Bud Select and Busch light by pulling the weeds early on. The dates should go in order but it was mown around August 1st, sprayed around august 10, disked up August 18, planted Sept 3rd, and pics were taken of growth 10-10-05. Deer have been out in it, just no bucks have been seen by me or trailcam other than a few dinks.
First plot is Buck Forage Oats and Purple Tope and Seven Top Turnips
9331-med.jpg

9331-1-med.jpg

9331-2-med.jpg

9331-3-med.jpg

Second plot is Clover and Chickory which IMO looks like crap
9332-med.jpg

9332-1-med.jpg

9332-2-med.jpg

9332-3-med.jpg

In the spring, I am going to frost seed some alfalfa if I can (if recommended) just to add a boost to the plot and plan on using a grass herbicide to get rid of the grasses coming up withing the plot. If there are any suggestions anybody has for things I can do....please let me know.

I'm not sure why but I don't think you can frost seed alfalfa with much success. If you want to broadcast it right before a rain you might do better but since the ground has been worked up once it would drill really nice in the spring.
Plots look good, nice job.

Well I think the plot got toasted last night....looks like a thin blanket of snow on the clover the frost was so heavy last night. Hopefully it still has some drawing power
confused.gif

Top Bottom