Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

fall decoy's

B

blnelson_48

i was wandering if any of you fall turkey hunter's use your decoy's or blind's as much in the fall as you do in the spring?

I thought I'd respond to your question.
I wouldn't recommend using decoys, especially if you hunt public land in the fall. I'm speaking from a safety standpoint since you can take either sex in the fall. My advice is to not forget how you killed your turkey in the spring(even though its a totally different type of hunt- you can use that info for scouting purposes). Depending on what you are after-plan on traditional fall tactics. It has been my experience that if you take a gobbler in the fall--not only is it a true trophy in my book--he most likely will be a trophy on paper as well. (heavier and older which means longer spurs) Hope that helps--and good luck.

In Iowa, I will use any tactic in the fall that I use in the Spring. Do not limit your hunting opportunities by traditional thinking.

Turkeys are group oriented, especially in the fall so it only makes sense a decoy would work fine. A blind is always a good tool especially bowhunting. I say use whatever method you enjoy. With turkeys, you have got to be willing to try about anything at anytime.

I have called gobblers off the roost and had them come in strutting and gobbling in November on occasion.

When I responded initially I wanted to be clear that I certainly do not limit myself when fall turkey hunting either. The question was about using decoys in the fall. It is not wise to use them when hunting public land for what I thought was just common sense. Any type of accident or confrontation would definetely ruin the hunt. On private land-with life-like decoys not the junk some try to peddle-and the right conditions- it might help. Speaking from experience I've had more turkeys run like hell from a decoy than not . The idea when calling is to enhance their curiosity and LOOK for the turkey making the call.

thanks for the info. i do hunt only on private land, i have shot several turkeys in the fall, i just never had used my decoys. i just got my blind last spring. thanks again and good luck

I to hunt only on private property. I have found that hunting fall turkeys works very well using the same methods as spring turkey hunting. I do however use more decoys in the fall than I hunt with in the spring season. I have had gobblers come in strutting on several ocassions, however I think one must set up closer to the birds than one does in the spring. As far as blinds, I hunt them out of a tree stand, seems to work very well, and there is always the possability that a big buck will come by. Deer seem to be less alert around the turkey decoys.

Top Bottom