Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fencing Plot

CottonwoodCanyon

I have a 3/4 acre field I'd like to try to fence this summer/early fall while the beans are growing. It'll be my first time trying this,, any tips? I've heard some people say it needs to be hot, some say it doesn't. Thoughts? Any tips on equipment/items needed?

I am limited on time right now, so this reply will be short. But we have in the past fenced the entire perimeter of a plot that was about 1-1/2 acres...with pretty good success. Long story short...we are in the middle of an aggressive project now to install two "permanent, 6'+ tall sides parallel to one another, with the ends being left open. The open ends will be electric fenced once everything has been planted. (Which the corn has now been planted.) We are setting up three such fields, two that are about 1 acre and one that is about 2 acres.

At some point we will take down the "ends", the electric fence to allow access. This approach should keep the deer out, we will have to up our game and take out more coons too for this gambit to work. But...I am tired of having earless, knee high stalks by October. So we are going "big" at this time to be able to have corn and/or beans left for season and/or post season.

I am limited on time right now, so this reply will be short. But we have in the past fenced the entire perimeter of a plot that was about 1-1/2 acres...with pretty good success. Long story short...we are in the middle of an aggressive project now to install two "permanent, 6'+ tall sides parallel to one another, with the ends being left open. The open ends will be electric fenced once everything has been planted. (Which the corn has now been planted.) We are setting up three such fields, two that are about 1 acre and one that is about 2 acres.

At some point we will take down the "ends", the electric fence to allow access. This approach should keep the deer out, we will have to up our game and take out more coons too for this gambit to work. But...I am tired of having earless, knee high stalks by October. So we are going "big" at this time to be able to have corn and/or beans left for season and/or post season.

Interesting concept and strategy Dave.

First thing that comes to mind.. What great pinch points you've created at the end of each fence row! Could be strategic stand locations..

I’m doing all t post fence. So I can leave it up permanently. Double layer. Think the outside be 2 strands. Inside be 3. Top one as high as I can go on t post. Not hard. I’ll try some with electric & some without. If a guy could stagger a few “6’ tall t posts” & get another strand up there- I have to think it’s almost bullet proof if double layer.

They work. Only ever made hot ones. Don't skimp on the solar fencer or strong posts, preferably good old steel fence posts. Gallagher makes a great quality solar fencer. I've always used one with a way higher reach than what I'm actually doing. The big box polywire/ribbon and insulators are all relatively the same from my experience.

Brother has his fenced in with T post with woven wire, then a few taller post with another section of woven wire that reaches maybe 7 feet? Ends are closed in and opened when he want to. First year he had hot wire on the ends, but the Turkeys mowed the corn off at the ground and not very much of it survived.

If you make it hot, make sure the ground is driven 3-4' under ground or more. Some guys even use 2 ground posts. Keep grass and weeds off the wires as much as possible. The rest of the info you can find on youtube/google for wire height, #strands, etc. Good luck!

Top Bottom