Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fertilizer on natural vegetation

iabow

I thought I read once that one could fertilize natural vegetation to make it sweeter and more appealing to the deer then if left alone. I ask cause I have a small field on the property I hunt with wild grasses growing on it and was wondering if it would make a difference. I have zero experience with this stuff so I thought I ask you guys, thanks.

If you have a stand of native grass I would leave it alone, adding N may encourage some invasive competition. I've heard of people fertilizing berry bushes, oaks, or honeysuckle but never tried it. I usually save lime and fertilizer for food plots.

Thanks pharmer. I was looking around on the web and came across this web site quality deer mangement. With some good info on small food plots and I was reading about the biologic stuff. They said that stuff can still be planted. I was thinking maybe I could try it on a 1/4 to 1/2 arce area with alot of grasses on it right now. Think it would be worth it.

Top Bottom