Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fertilizer options??

Daver

PMA Member
All, I will be planting brassicas here soon and I want to use my no till drill to do so. Previously, my usual routine is that I would spread Urea, till it in, broadcast seed and then cultipack.

What are my options in terms of higher N content fertilizer that is not volatile and can lay on the ground surface until a rain takes it into the soil. Note - my primary source for seed and fertilizer over the past several years has closed up shop...so I have reached out to a couple of places that are more oriented to lawns and/or agricultural products and they are not real dialed in to us food plotters.

I don't want to spend $$'s on shipping either if I can avoid it either. Any suggestions on sources and/or product(s)?? TIA.

I've been going to co-op , I bring a tote and they fill it with nitrogen, coated with an orange time release coating called nutrisphere

Which coop? Area of state? My farm is near Selma, IA. About 25 miles south of Fairfield.

How many pounds do you get at a time in your tote?

1000 # fills the tote a whisker over half full , I'm in Dubuque co I buy it at a feed store that sells fertilizer, they sell it at ton price that way you're not paying for bagging, same as if you buying fertilizer from them and using their buggy to broadcast. I wheel in with tote in truck , they weigh me I tell em I want 1500 # they run it in, weigh out usually within a 100 # that I requested, they do the math on the ton price, I give them cash and skidattle

Attachments

• 20240725_121921.jpg
    20240725_121921.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 59
1000 # fills the tote a whisker over half full , I'm in Dubuque co I buy it at a feed store that sells fertilizer, they sell it at ton price that way you're not paying for bagging, same as if you buying fertilizer from them and using their buggy to broadcast. I wheel in with tote in truck , they weigh me I tell em I want 1500 # they run it in, weigh out usually within a 100 # that I requested, they do the math on the ton price, I give them cash and skidattle
Are you getting this in granular or liquid form? (Because I can't see if the top of your bulk container is open, or not.)

If granular, how do you get it out of the container and then spread it? TIA?

Granular, open top , then shovel or dip 5 gal pail , I usually put a couple 5 gal pails with lids on back rack of 4 wheeler, I use a spreader mounted on front of 4 wheeler

I'd give Stutsman's in Hills a call to see what they offer. I did see lawn on their website, but sure they have an ag version.
Phone: 319.679.7278

Phone: 319.679.2281

I'd give Stutsman's in Hills a call to see what they offer. I did see lawn on their website, but sure they have an ag version.
Phone: 319.679.7278

Phone: 319.679.2281
Thanks, I had already called them and their offering is more suited towards lawns and golf courses, etc, and the guy that I was talking to did not know whether or not their higher N fertilizer was prone to evaporation, or not.

I really like Copenhagen's set up...I just need to find somewhere that will sell me high N, coated fertilizer in bulk.

Sorry to butt in, but do you know the current price for 1 ton ?

I'm not sure of ton price, should be lower than last year though. Any of these places that sell fertilizer should be able to replicate what I'm doing. No different than filling a fertilizer buggy that they would deliver to your farm. I also get a tote full of triple 19 type mixture, they can add more p k or whatever to the mix. I fill totes what doesn't get used I just store in totes under roof, so not sure of current price. Usually price drops with commodity price being low.

Non-volatile.. hmm. Tough for Nitrogen.

Options (From most to least volatile) :

- Coated Urea (46-0-0) - Granular broadcast
- UAN (36-0-0) - liquid
- AMS (22-0-0-26S) - Granular broadcast (fertilizer grade - Should have a gray color)

Coated urea would be my preference. I have only ever had uncoated. Is coated urea available widely?

So if your no tilling just coated fertilizer (which is more than likely just stabilized fertilizer) still better get a rain in a few days. Best is get a polymer coated fertilizer. More expensive but will not break down or volatile until it gets rained on. We run a lawn care company and we use this at this time of the year. I don't know I there is poly coated fertilizer at a co op but most big lawn care distributors have it. We get ours from zimco supply or van diest Co would have it too

I have used a drill for brassica and I don't think it does nearly as well as a hand spreader. If able, I would spread fertilizer, lightly disc or till, spread seed, then cultipack. I know guys don't like to disc or till soil anymore, but I think for brassica it works better to lightly turn the soil.

So if your no tilling just coated fertilizer (which is more than likely just stabilized fertilizer) still better get a rain in a few days. Best is get a polymer coated fertilizer. More expensive but will not break down or volatile until it gets rained on. We run a lawn care company and we use this at this time of the year. I don't know I there is poly coated fertilizer at a co op but most big lawn care distributors have it. We get ours from zimco supply or van diest Co would have it too

Agree. Coated urea still has substantial losses if left out in the heat.

Top Bottom