Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Bow Kill

BOWDUDE

I have been bow hunting for 4 years, I have been waiting for a monster buck. I have shot and missed a few 140 to 150 class deer.
I told myself this year I am going to shoot the first deer that walks under my stand.
I have been working a ton of hours at work and have a new baby at home so Sat. was my first time to get in a stand.
I decided to try a new farm right outside of DesMoines. I put the stand in a few weeks ago. When I got there I counted 9 rubs and 3 scrapes from my stand.
It was getting dark and I had not seen a thing when a decent 8 pointer came out of nowhere. He stuck around for a half hour checking the scrapes and finally walked to an area where I could get a shot.
About twenty yards, a little further forward than I wanted and the arrow did'nt pass thru.
Went home watched the baby til mama got home, recruited some help.
Found the buck about 100 yards down from my stand, broadhead passed thru both lungs.
Arrow was missing, might have to go back and look for it later.
This buck was no monster, but I did prove I can harvest one with a bow.
I have taken alot of deer with shotguns, but this one will be one to remember.
BOWDUDE

Bowdude,

Congratulations! Nothing like taking a deer with a bow.

If you want to make the rack look big take a picture of it with the new baby. I did that with a rack once when my son was real little and it made a 160" look like a 200" buck.

Old Buck

ya congrats on the deer. I once took a picture of my 75" rack next to a pencil and it made it look like a 200" too. It's just some fun you can have with the antler.

The first is always the best. My "monster" 5 pointer is now actually a head mount and one of my favorites. I rattled him in and took him at 8 yards. A perfect heart shot and he traveled a mere 10 feet before falling over. I know lots of guys who think they aren't going to shoot anything less than Boone for there first archery buck, and while it may happen, it's sure easier to draw on that big one with a little confidence and a deer or two under your belt. Congrats on a great hunt!

I remember my first bow kill last year it was a little four point, but it was my first bow kill and i was excited. I just finished a book called hunting trophy deer and one thing I really learned from that book is that no matter how big the deer or rack the trophy is in the eye of the beholder

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the positive input. I just can't wait to get out again.
I feel a little robbed since that was my first and last time out with my bow.
Thanks again,
BOWDUDE

Congratulations, any bow harvest is a celebration regarldess of type and size. Having fun and being safe is the main thing.
When you can do both, that is a real trophy.

Top Bottom