Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

FIRST SHOTGUN DEER SEASON OPENS SATURDAY-DNR

G

FYI -

CHARITON - While Iowa pheasant hunters last year were struggling through the worst hunting season on record, deer hunters were enjoying the best.

Last year pheasant hunter numbers and harvest estimates fell to all-time lows, but the number of deer licenses sold and animals harvested reached record highs. Approximately 173,000 hunters purchased 266,390 licenses and harvested an estimated 136,500 deer.

Willie Suchy, the DNR’s leading whitetail deer biologist, says the stage is set for another banner year.

That’s good news for the estimated 125,000 hunters who will be taking part in Iowa’s two most popular firearm deer seasons. DNR officials expect as many as 75,000 could be out for the first shotgun season, which runs Dec. 7-11, and another 50,000 for the Dec. 14-22 second season.

"After a record harvest in 2001, hunters can expect another good year in 2002," he said. "Surveys indicate that deer numbers are about the same in most areas, with some regional differences.

"In general, deer numbers are good in the southern third of the state, in the northeast quarter and in western Iowa in the loess hills along the Missouri River. Deer numbers in north-central and northwest Iowa were down slightly."

Liberal deer license regulations prompted the record license sales, and thus, the record harvest, according to Terry Little, wildlife research supervisor for the DNR. He said liberal license options and availability remain in place this year.

Little did advise hunters that time is running out to purchase 2002 licenses. Although first season shotgun hunters can purchase licenses through the end of the season, all other deer (excluding special late season) licenses must be purchased by Dec. 14.

Little also said the convenience and flexibility of purchasing licenses electronically has meant more and more hunters are waiting until the last minute. Last year nearly 31,000 first season licenses were sold in the week leading up to opening day. To avoid long lines and delays at the counter, Little advised hunters to purchase their licenses before the last minute.

Suchy added hunters can help control deer numbers and improve the quality of the deer herd on land they hunt by taking advantage of the liberal antlerless license options available. Taking a doe and passing on the yearling buck will pay big dividends in a relatively short period of time, he said.

"By allowing that yearling buck to grow another year or two, the number and size of bucks in the area you hunt will improve," Suchy said. "This is really a case of having your cake and eating it too."

I hate to even start something...but here it goes anyway.

Since we are one day away from the first shotgun season, and deep down if they like to admit it or not most every deer hunter I ever met would love to kill a trophy sized animal.

If you have the choice of small buck or large doe, shooting the doe will give you a much better chance at the big one in a year or two.

So if you have a choice.... choose to take the doe.

quoted from above

"Taking a doe and passing on the yearling buck will pay big dividends in a relatively short period of time, he said.

"By allowing that yearling buck to grow another year or two, the number and size of bucks in the area you hunt will improve," Suchy said. "This is really a case of having your cake and eating it too."

Believe it or not there is a movement underway among the leadslingers (myself included) to pass on those young bucks and to drop a few more does. My group started years ago when an anysex tag was coveted as it was a guaranteed meat tag. Anything with antlers was taken no matter what the size. Now that we have deer behind every tree there is alot more talk about "growing" bigger bucks and thinning the herd. I started this myself very quietly within our group by passing up the little ones that went by and telling the group "I didn't see anything but a couple of does". Then eventually I suggested it to a few members of our group and it's slowly catching on. We still have some hunters in our group who will shoot only bucks and that includes any buck and we even have some who refuse to shoot a doe, period. But slowly things are changing. I just hope it changes faast enough to slow down the increasing deer #'s before the legislators feel the need to take more direct action. There will be hunters who will never change but there are some of us who try to look at the bigger picture also. Good luck to all. Maggs.

I agree wholeheartedly with thebad's statement. I just wish that all the neighbors who surround our hunting area over here in Wisconsin could understand that as well. They use the QDM tool "it"s brown, it's down" and they are quite content to do so. They say "WELL Yup, I got my deer again this year. Gee that must make it 15 years in a row now." Myself, I did not see a deer gunhunting until Thursday, after sitting for 5 days in the woods. I did miss a nice coyote tho sunday morning. So yes, guys and gals, who are going out this weekend and next pass the young bucks and take home some nice tender doe meat to the freezer. You will appreciate the food and you won't have to wonder "what if I hadn't shot that little buck" .... just my 2 cents for what it's worth... good luck and good hunting

I think a good policy is if a buck is not big enough that you would have it mounted or do something special with the antlers, other than tossing them in a corner in the garage, then shoot a doe instead. Let the buck grow or be shot by someone who would treasure the antlers, like a kid shooting his first antlered buck.

Thebad, great point. I've been encouraging the same thing for years and surprisingly I'm talking to more and more people who are doing just that. Not only bowhunters but shotgunners also. Every hunter who passes an immature buck makes a difference.

Once someone makes the transition they spread the idea. Some will never make the change but overall it is happening as more and more people realize you don't kill big bucks by killing small ones.

Good hunting, be safe out there and always get permission first!

Old Buck

Top Bottom