Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First time foodplot

patch86

I have a small chunk of timber that I basically keep as a sanctuary until the rut then I hunt it. I harvested a pretty good Buck out of it this year. I holds tons of deer sign. Its surrounded by crop fields but there is a clear spot I wanna try a plot. I've never planted any sort of plot and want a crop that possible produces all season. I know there r brands with different plants that grow at different times of the year. Basically I just want any advice on this subject as I really have no experience with it.

Clover would be tough to beat if you ask me for an area like that. It will provide food for most of the year and is easy to get started. Can you get to the spot to mow it? Clover is also easy to etablish.

If you can get some real equipment in there to work the ground, that would be even better. But a 1/2 acre plot may get mowed down to fast in anything but clover. Can you put up an electric fence around it? If you can and the area gets plenty of sun, that increases your options.

Top Bottom