Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fishing report on a few lakes please!

I need some help on information at a couple lakes in central and southern Iowa. First off, does anyone know anything about Pleasant Creek Lake, Lake Macbride, Lake Geode, or Lake Sugema? A couple of my buddies and I want to take a fishing trip next weekend. I know some of the ice has melted off on few of the lakes and I'm just curious on how the fishing is. Also, what the fish may be hitting on early on here!

Thanks for the help!

Fished all of them many times. It depends on what you are looking to catch. the Muskies should be going pretty good in PC and Sugema, and there are a few in Macbride as well, but I wouldn't spend a ton of time on Macbride as the population is pretty young. But if you're after bass, Id pick Sugema or Geode, both have good numbers and some big ones too.

I would spend all your time in shallow, dark bottom bays that are soaking up the sun most of the day. These will warm up the fastest and will be more productive than main lake areas. I would use three presentations, a white spinnerbait with double willows, probably silver/chrome blades. slow roll it over the brush and across flats. I would also consider a square billed crank bait that goes 1.5 to 2.5 feet deep. Keep it slow. Finally a small finesse outfit with a 4-6 inch worm is a good bet.

To be honest, fishing could be tough this time of year as the bass are still in a wintering mode, but if you knock them in the head with a bait, they will eat it. with the warmer weather on the way, they could really turn on soon Good luck!

Hey, thanks for the information!
I have a few of those spinners in my box already, so that's good!
If its slow, it's slow and you cannot do much about that..but a getaway with your buddies fishing at a lake, well, heck..there is nothing better!

Top Bottom