Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food plot burndown help

sundog78

I had one of my plots all tilled and pretty 6 weeks ago. Then the rain started. Then life happened. Then it got hotter than hades back 40. Then more rain. Blah Blah. Now....I've got the prettiest and greenest field of terrible I've ever encountered. 4ft tall foxtail. Thistles. Cockleburr. Marestail. Plus a bunch of other stuff I cant identify but know I want gone. When something similar has happened in the past I've mixed up a hot tank of 41% gly in my 60 gallon sprayer and sprayed. That resulted in the death of about everything except the marestail. I am of the opinion that marestail actually enjoys gly the same way I enjoy a cold beverage. Stings at first but in the end I'm better for it. My usual course is to spray, burn, then till to get any remaining weeds (marestail.) But even tilling takes a couple passes to kill it because the stalk is still green after spraying the gly only.

I want to nuke this field this weekend then torch it a week or two later. Is there anything I can tank mix with gly to set this marestail back enough it might succumb to the herbicide and the burn? Preferably something that wont make me feel violated when I go to pay for it. If necessary I'll follow the same course of spray, burn, then till but if there's something available that would even weaken that marestail I'd be interested to try it.

Also.....marestail=horseweed in my neck of the woods. As devilish a weed as I've ever the displeasure to wrestle.

Add lv6 2,4-d (& then add dicamba if u really wanna fry it). Go highest rates. I think that label allows for crop oil- be nice if so. It’s cheap. Just keep the interval in mind between spraying & planting. If interval is too long for u, dial the rates down a touch. Getting a rain on it after u spray will take care of most the planting delay interval anyways though. Run some more gly with it to catch any grasses that are starting.

Add lv6 2,4-d (& then add dicamba if u really wanna fry it). Go highest rates. I think that label allows for crop oil- be nice if so. It’s cheap. Just keep the interval in mind between spraying & planting. If interval is too long for u, dial the rates down a touch. Getting a rain on it after u spray will take care of most the planting delay interval anyways though. Run some more gly with it to catch any grasses that are starting.
What is the difference between 2, 4-d #4 and #6?

What is the difference between 2, 4-d #4 and #6?
I believe, off top head, amount of active ingredients.. 6 lbs per gallon of lv6 & 4 lbs per gallon of lv4. Same thing- just a concentration thing. Can add more lv4 to get same results

I always leave out dicamba if crops anywhere close but I’ll use in unique cases where stuff really hard to kill. & use when it’s not super hot outside…. Just read label on that if anyone uses dicamba.

As Skip said, need to add 24-D or something like it along with your gly to kill the resistant stuff. Including ANS and surfactant in your tank will help your cocktail work better too. Very common misconception that gly just kills everything. Maybe in some parts of the country, but at some point in the midwest you are going to run into resistant weeds (marestail, water hemp, pigweed, etc.)

I’ve got a small amount of 24d on hand. And couple gallons of surfactant. Might see about adding those. Worst case scenario I’ll take my brush burner out there and fry the worst of em. Planting won’t happen for 3-4 weeks yet.

Keep in mind the 'half life' of 24D is about 14 days. If you mix strong I'd wait 20 days and hope for a good rain in between. Where are you located? In Iowa soils its apprx 14 days of residual.. In harder soils its longer...

Keep in mind the 'half life' of 24D is about 14 days. If you mix strong I'd wait 20 days and hope for a good rain in between. Where are you located? In Iowa soils its apprx 14 days of residual.. In harder soils its longer...

It will be a weak mix. I don’t have enough on hand to make it too strong. Planting won’t take place in the time frame you mentioned and we’ve got rain in the forecast all next week which is why I’m wanting to get the kill going now

Top Bottom