Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food plot question

gersdorf

Life Member
I was wondering what you guys might plant for a food plot in my situation. I hunt in west/central iowa and one of the places i hunt is surrounded by corn and soybeans from the neighbors farm and my dad and i want to plant something on his ground for help with the deer but we both don't have a lot of experience on what to plant. We have planted corn in the past but i was wondering what everyone else has used. We have about 25-40 acres we can plant on and the rest is timber and crick bottom. what do you think?

I would plant 10 acres corn, 10 acres beans, and 5 acres of imperial whitetail clover. I would harvest half the beans and half the corn to recoup some of your costs then broadcast rye or oats in the remaining beans (still standing) in August. I would then plant a 15 acre block of tall warm season grasses for bedding cover. Buy lots of arrows, lots of antlerless tags and save up some cash ($400-$800)for your taxidermy bills!!!
grin.gif

Great reply iowaqdm. Corn and beans are hard to beat. Mix in some clover and you have a great set up. Here is a link to a article on the QDMA website for other great ideas. Check out the other articles as well. Alot of good free informaton.web page

Central Iowa thanks for the article. That provided me with a lot of useful information. It is well worth the time to read all of the articles on foodplots because I deffinitley learned a lot from it. Thanks.

Top Bottom