Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plots - Eye Opening

What would you do next year

• Fence off until closer to season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Convert to solely clover/chicory mix

• Keep doing as is but plant cereal grain once usage starts (mid September)

• Total voters
First time doing food plot this year and it's been exciting. Food plot is a 1/2 acre of turnips and radishes. On the perimeter I planted a chicory, alfalfa, clover, mix with winter rye as a nurse crop (planted it this fall well after the turnips and radishes went in). The turnip and radish grew amazing, I fertilized both at planting and then again 3 weeks later and was blown away with how much green they produced and also the size of the bulbs. Looked like something out of a magazine. Was down there to put a scrape tree in on September 6th and noticed they had been eating the tops a little. Threw a couple cameras up.

Fast forward to September 22nd, radishes GONE. Pretty much ate all of the tops and most of the radish itself. Tops of the turnips? 75% gone. Checked the cameras and about 6-8 deer a night hammering the plot, lots of pics with food hanging from mouth. Thank god I planted the WR and chicory because that is looking very good and isn't getting hammered. Also the bulbs of the turnips will probably be good late season. The clover and alfalfa is coming good too. Now I planted even more WR and also some buck forage oats, basically in every thin spot. Next year it is getting put either all into clover or else its getting fenced off until closer to oct 1. I've noticed they take 1-2 bites out of the turnip bulb and just leave it? With the bulb still in the ground. Is this deer or maybe its mice eating them? Some of them they just pull up and leave.

Anyone that says they don't hit the tops until after a couple frosts is strongly mistaken. I get that every farm is different but it certainly didn't take a frost here. I now know why food plots are common, it is unreal the usage I'm seeing. I'm primarily a timber hunter though, sitting on a ridge in late October/early November just cant be beat IMO. The plot was meant for more of an early season/late season option. Its been fun but also a lot of work. Thought I would add the poll to make it this a funner (is that a word?) discussion

Can you expand your planting area?

If not, I would go to a clover plot. Fencing off doesn't do anything to help the nutrition of the local herd. Clearly there is a void.

Lastly, if you cannot plant more, may be time to take more deer.

Reactions: HWC
Can you expand your planting area?

If not, I would go to a clover plot. Fencing off doesn't do anything to help the nutrition of the local herd. Clearly there is a void.

Lastly, if you cannot plant more, may be time to take more deer.
No I can't, it surrounded by timber. Leads to a large ag field that this year is alfalfa.

The deer are like steers big bodies and healthy, we are in a large ag area and there is food everywhere. I don't think they lack nutrition, I think they just prefer the candy I just so happen to plant next to their bedding. And its secluded so even more of a reason for the use I suppose.

I agree on shooting more and I do think that could help. It's just not that practical though, my wife and I can only eat so much.

Top Bottom