Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

? for Blind Sow and others!!

I have a question if someone hunting near me is doing something illegal or not. First this individual takes his daughter hunting during youth season (which is good), then goes out during 1st shotgun season and hunts, but the question I have is how he can put the blaze orange on again during second season shotgun and take his daughter back out. Does he stay by her side at all times- No! So isn't this practice illegal?? I would like some feedback. I like the fact he wants to hunt with his kid but if you would see him run the roads during first season you would question his ethics also!! T$

Hmmm, I would say the daughter's age is an important factor. Anyway, here is my opinion if the duaghter is 12 to 16 years old, which might be way off base. As I see it, the daughter can hunt during youth season and second shotgun season. If she is under 12 then only youth season is legally available to her. During youth season the youth must be under the "direct supervision" of a fully licensed parent or guardian. Basically, during youth season the accompanying adult is the licensed hunter and the deer tag is in the adult's name as well. To summarize, the youth does the shooting and the adult does the tagging.
Now, residents 12 years old to 16 years old may hunt without adult supervision but must
have a hunting license and must have
passed a hunter safety course. So, if this is the case then she can go out on her own during second season as well and tag her own deer without her father being close by. However, I would not let the youth wonder alone very far for safety reasons and hunting instruction purposes.
If the both of them are going out all three seasons then I would have to pass to Blind Sow. I'm under the impression that an adult hunter can tag a deer for bow season and tag another deer during a gun season, but I don't think taking and tagging a deer during several gun seasons in a year is legal. Now I'm getting confused!
confused.gif

I agree that age is a factor. If the girl is 12-16, has passed a hunter's safety course and has the needed licenses, then she can hunt without supervision, with the exception of the youth season where she must fall into that age group (not younger or older) and have the supervision. Don't forget a landowner shotgun season tag is valid for both shotgun seasons. Maybe he used that and is going to also have a late season muzzleloader tag too. Here's how I see it being legal;
Youth season OK for both.
First season landowner and/or statewide OK for the dad.
Second season landowner and/or statewide OK for both.

Top Bottom