Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gender confused.

Fishbonker

Life Member
Recently there have been several does with antlers shot in Iowa. The does have velvetless antler. There was a buck taken recently that was a buck but "the boys" were missing. His rack was still in velvet. Sounds backassward to me. Why do does with antlers shed their velvet and bucks that are boyless don't? I've never see a doe with antlers up close but the pictures look like they shed their velvet.

The 'Bonker

Ones without velvet are likely a (Pseudo)hermaphrodites with testosterone and or estogen production along with antler pedicles and the ones with velvet are essentially castrated males and have lost the testosterone production. Hope a biology buff can clear it up 100%

So it doesn't take testosterone to grow the bone, just to harden it? No pun intended. So a doe with antlers has testosterone production or just less estrogen to keep her naturally occuring testosterone in check? Do these does have fawns? Seems unlikely in that a lack or low level of estrogen will not trigger the estrus cycle. Thats the way I remember it from many years ago.

Hormones and the endocine system, what a facinating and difficult subject to understand, 'specially if the vessel containing said hormones is you wife.

So my next logical, for me anyway, question is this: If you put out a feed for does that contained extra deer estrogen, by eating the feed and consuming the estrogen, would that "force" them into early estrus and jump start the rut? I don't think so or somebody would be selling it already.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]

So my next logical, for me anyway, question is this: If you put out a feed for does that contained extra deer estrogen, by eating the feed and consuming the estrogen, would that "force" them into early estrus and jump start the rut? I don't think so or somebody would be selling it already.

The 'Bonker

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd most likely turn your bucks into the limp wristed types I see on campus.
shocked.gif
Does this rack make me look fat?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
extra deer estrogen

[/ QUOTE ]

More breast cancer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if they are post menopausal.

The 'Bonker

There are already drugs and/or hormones on the market to make cattle come into heat. This is done to synchronize calving so you get a more uniform group of calves. The problem with jump starting the rut would be that fawns would be born too early to survive a cold spring. Could definitely be done though.

Two years ago my brother killed a doe with antlers and she was hard horned. She was all doe though. Only female parts down below. Imagine the joy of killing your first buck and then the total confusion when we rolled him over to field dress and realized he was a she. Had to go home and do some homework on that one. Neither one of us had ever heard of such a thing until we did a little web surfing.

Top Bottom