Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gene pool

Wildturkey 2

Anyone know how the EHD will affect the gene pool I’m really concern about it. Maybe there’s no way of knowing? Anyone got any input on this subject.

Anyone know how the EHD will affect the gene pool I’m really concern about it. Maybe there’s no way of knowing? Anyone got any input on this subject.

Not sure if you are into podcasts, but the latest HUNTR podcast had the chair of the Ohio Game Commission on and he discussed just that. He thought it would be great for the gene pool since it is non-selective and would take out the weakest animals regardless of antler size or potential. His fear was since we have essentially been high-grading large antlered individuals for some time now, eventually that would allow too many lesser antlered individuals to impact the gene pool. He argued an EHD outbreak would help offset some of that impact. He made a great case. Worth a listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would worry less about EHD affecting gene pool than hunters and hunting affecting it! I would HIGHLY doubt that there is a correlation between EHD and antler growth from a genetic standpoint. Age structure, stress level and animal health will impact antler growth more. I would ASSUME that EHD is an indescriminate killer in that it doesn’t pick out the best genetics. My opinion is not on any research but logic and relating it to other animal diseases.

Not sure if you are into podcasts, but the latest HUNTR podcast had the chair of the Ohio Game Commission on and he discussed just that. He thought it would be great for the gene pool since it is non-selective and would take out the weakest animals regardless of antler size or potential. His fear was since we have essentially been high-grading large antlered individuals for some time now, eventually that would allow too many lesser antlered individuals to impact the gene pool. He argued an EHD outbreak would help offset some of that impact. He made a great case. Worth a listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what I was referring to on hunters and hunting having a larger impact. I have heard that places in Illinois where the outfitters are prevalent that genetics have degraded and 8 point deer are more prevalent because the deer with higher scoring antler genetics have been harvested/targeted leaving behind lesser quality bucks to do the breeding. I don’t watch podcasts so I have watched the one referenced above.

I would worry less about EHD affecting gene pool than hunters and hunting affecting it! I would HIGHLY doubt that there is a correlation between EHD and antler growth from a genetic standpoint. Age structure, stress level and animal health will impact antler growth more. I would ASSUME that EHD is an indescriminate killer in that it doesn’t pick out the best genetics. My opinion is not on any research but logic and relating it to other animal diseases.
Ok guys good info

Top Bottom