Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Genesis 5 no till drill

tall@wide

PMA Member
Anyone have a genesis 5 and how do you like it? Can you plant corn, beans, and cereal grain with it? Easy to calibrate and set up?

Anyone have a genesis 5 and how do you like it? Can you plant corn, beans, and cereal grain with it? Easy to calibrate and set up?

We have had a Gen5 for past 3 seasons. Love it for our purposes—food plots. Super easy to calibrate. We have used it for things as small as switch and as large as corn. We did block a few of the seeders when planting corn only, to get more spacing between the rows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have had a Gen5 for past 3 seasons. Love it for our purposes—food plots. Super easy to calibrate. We have used it for things as small as switch and as large as corn. We did block a few of the seeders when planting corn only, to get more spacing between the rows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info...

I could write a very long summary on this. I am on year 3 and hundreds and hundreds of acres planted with my genesis 5.

planted beans, brassicas, clover, sorghum, etc. Never tried corn (I have I have a corn planter)

I think if a guy is just doing his own few plots a year it's a great option. They are insanely easy to calibrate and dead nuts accurate when dialed in. I question if they hold up long term under heavier use. I just got done replacing all 8 press wheels as the bearings went out on 7 out of 8. I was greasing them regularly but after having them apart, not nearly enough. I think that part of the machine is a poor design. They do not have seals. Each wheel takes half a tube of grease to start and after a full days use takes about 20 pumps to get grease to come back out. I will see how long they last now. Manual does not explain this at all. I think the press wheel design in general could be better. The press wheels are also sets the depth. It seems to me that puts alot of pressure/weight onto the bearings.

The other negative I would say is it does not handle side hills well. You have to be very strategic about planting direction if on hills so the drive wheel does not skip.

I think the great plains/landpride is clearly a better drill, but its twice the cost. The RTP calibration def beats GP tho (yes ive used both)

heres a video comparing the two.

I could write a very long summary on this. I am on year 3 and hundreds and hundreds of acres planted with my genesis 5.

planted beans, brassicas, clover, sorghum, etc. Never tried corn (I have I have a corn planter)

I think if a guy is just doing his own few plots a year it's a great option. They are insanely easy to calibrate and dead nuts accurate when dialed in. I question if they hold up long term under heavier use. I just got done replacing all 8 press wheels as the bearings went out on 7 out of 8. I was greasing them regularly but after having them apart, not nearly enough. I think that part of the machine is a poor design. They do not have seals. Each wheel takes half a tube of grease to start and after a full days use takes about 20 pumps to get grease to come back out. I will see how long they last now. Manual does not explain this at all. I think the press wheel design in general could be better. The press wheels are also sets the depth. It seems to me that puts alot of pressure/weight onto the bearings.

The other negative I would say is it does not handle side hills well. You have to be very strategic about planting direction if on hills so the drive wheel does not skip.

I think the great plains/landpride is clearly a better drill, but its twice the cost. The RTP calibration def beats GP tho (yes ive used both)

Excellent info.. Thanks..

Rob, Is yours the standard or light model? What HP tractor you use with your's and what's the lifting capacity?

Rob, Is yours the standard or light model? What HP tractor you use with your's and what's the lifting capacity?
Light. Its well over 2,000 lbs with seed in it. I was running it on deer 4320. About all the 4320 wanted to handle as far as lifting when full. Now on 4066R mostly.

I never did run a Genesis. So- I’ll drop out on that comment & Rob’s comments are EXCELLENT!!!!. I’ll hijack this with one other comment… I own or owned multiples of these brand drills:
Deere (several models)
Tye
Truax
Great Plains/Land pride (1 3 point 10’, 2 pull type 10’ & a 15’) - all with 3 boxes
Case/IH
GT (a company in Europe made for them & they are still around).
Lilliston
Ran bunch of others.

With above list…. Great Plains - hands down- no contest!!!!! On every single level.
The ONLY BIG COMPLAINT I have with Great Plains is with their front coulter depth settings & rear closing wheel settings- everything on THE MOST SHALLOW…. Still gets small seed too deep. Big issue if folks don’t catch this!! Have to manually control depth with hydraulics. Which I’m used to and not a big deal now. Other mention: PULL TYPE is WAY WAY WAY better than 3 point when talking Great Plains drills. I can explain if anyone wants me to. ONLY complaint other than minor stuff. Everything else, wins big league IMO.

Of the list above…. truax & Deere are about last on my list for a long list of reasons!!!! ;).

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
The ONLY BIG COMPLAINT I have with Great Plains is with their front coulter depth settings & rear closing wheel settings- everything on THE MOST SHALLOW…. Still gets small seed too deep.
Check out above video at 16 min Mark. Changing press wheel for shallow stuff..... interesting

Check out above video at 16 min Mark. Changing press wheel for shallow stuff..... interesting
Jackpot!!! “The learning never ends”!!!! Good catch!!!! Still gonna watch my depth close & front coulters especially but this is helpful

Btw guys- anyone looking to do things “on the cheap”. …. If it’s: clovers, switchgrass, brassicas & other small seeds….. find an old minimal till drill. Cheap. Often “free”. I’ve got a free one I still use to this day!!

Thanks for comments.. I'll do some research on the great plains and a little more on the genesis.. I'll be using a kubota mx-6000(60hp) for this and the lift capacity is only about 2350.

so the bearing issue (as discussed in video) on the Genesis is a known issue. I'm just learning that folks have figured out a fix. It involves taking the two-piece wheel apart and swapping out the factory bearings for sealed ones. sounds like a good winter project.

so the bearing issue (as discussed in video) on the Genesis is a known issue. I'm just learning that folks have figured out a fix. It involves taking the two-piece wheel apart and swapping out the factory bearings for sealed ones. sounds like a good winter project.
That sounds like something they should be fixing at the factory, especially on the new equipment. I'd hate the buy something new and know it was up to me to fix it. :mad:

That sounds like something they should be fixing at the factory, especially on the new equipment. I'd hate the buy something new and know it was up to me to fix it. :mad:
Agreed. By all accounts it has happened to so many people that I think it would be a legit consumer complaint issue if someone had the time to take it up.

I never did run a Genesis. So- I’ll drop out on that comment & Rob’s comments are EXCELLENT!!!!. I’ll hijack this with one other comment… I own or owned multiples of these brand drills:
Deere (several models)
Tye
Truax
Great Plains/Land pride (1 3 point 10’, 2 pull type 10’ & a 15’) - all with 3 boxes
Case/IH
GT (a company in Europe made for them & they are still around).
Lilliston
Ran bunch of others.

With above list…. Great Plains - hands down- no contest!!!!! On every single level.
The ONLY BIG COMPLAINT I have with Great Plains is with their front coulter depth settings & rear closing wheel settings- everything on THE MOST SHALLOW…. Still gets small seed too deep. Big issue if folks don’t catch this!! Have to manually control depth with hydraulics. Which I’m used to and not a big deal now. Other mention: PULL TYPE is WAY WAY WAY better than 3 point when talking Great Plains drills. I can explain if anyone wants me to. ONLY complaint other than minor stuff. Everything else, wins big league IMO.

Of the list above…. truax & Deere are about last on my list for a long list of reasons!!!! ;).

I currently have a pull type Esch 5603 and just came across a land pride 3p600 (min till) for a price I couldn't pass up so I bought it and intend to use it for no-till plots and hopefully plant faster than I do with the little Esch. I understand why a pull type will have more consistent ground pressure and thus more consistent planting but am confident I can make do for food plotting purposes.

I'm curious if there are any lessons learned or tips and tricks to getting the most out of this 3 point mounted model that I should pay attention to right off the bat?

Have the gp 606nt 3pt
It does work very well for what it is but the biggest takeaway is SLOW DOWN ineverything you do from hooking up, loading up, tying down, transporting, planting, lifting, turning, everything

It's a lot of weight stress and leverage and if you get rammy something will give

You will break far less stuff and get a lot more accomplished due to the lack of breakdowns

Also once I like a rate I take a sharpie and write on the inside what I did for next time

great stuff above!!!
I’d add…. Obvious stuff but worth mentioning… on 3 point- clearly make sure it’s leveled. It’s heavy on rear of tractor so be ready for that. Get the drive tire foam filled &/or have a back up tire & rim ready. Watch that depth carefully. It’s easy to get things too deep. Have fun!!!

Top Bottom