Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Good news, bad news...

Daver

PMA Member
The good news is that my son Mark got our #1 target buck this morning. A big bodied, modest racked 7 year old. He was the true definition of a "bully buck".

He saw him two separate times this morning as he was prowling for does. Mark also saw him with a doe last Sunday on our place and a neighbor saw him last night cross the road onto our place following a doe...but he was alone this morning. So I think he caught him between does...to his ultimate demise.

The buck basically walked a big circle, thank you thermals, around Mark this morning on his doe search. On his reappearance, Mark waited for him to get to an out of sight, cross winded position and gave him a light rattling sequence.

Once he started heading towards him, he hit him with a grunt and then a snort wheeze. (This stand is purposely placed where it is for hunts at this time of the year when bucks are out for a walkabout...and then vulnerable to being called in close. It worked again this morning! :) )

He couldn't resist the snort wheeze that he couldn't locate and marched right on in to about 25 yards, where Mark put a perfect shot on him and he was DRT in less than 10 seconds.

The bad news...that bruiser is literally our only target this year. EHD has hit our neighborhood HARD, so that may well be the only deer we shoot this year. Whoda thunk?

Attachments

• received_1577973725941144.jpeg
    received_1577973725941144.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 122
Fantastic!!!! Might have some move in with him gone & dispersion after ehd takes pockets out. No doubt ehd is a major bummer. But congrats on pulling off an old buck regardless, fantastic!!

Fantastic!!!! Might have some move in with him gone & dispersion after ehd takes pockets out. No doubt ehd is a major bummer. But congrats on pulling off an old buck regardless, fantastic!!
We can only hope for some "move ins", but from many reports in our area where LOTS of dead deer have been found...they're going to have move in from a ways away. :) It is really, really weird being at our place this fall...as we so used to having too many deer...now, it is almost a surprise when you see one. :) I think we have lost 60% to 75% of the herd.

Congrats on buck. When ehd hit our area it took 4 or 5 years to look somewhat normal again and it didn't hit us as bad as it sounds you guys got hit .

Congrats on the buck! EHD will frustrate you for years, it ook close to 4 years to rebuild the population after it crushed one of my areas.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom