Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

GPS Users???

deadeye

Just wondering how many people have a handheld GPS?

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend. I have some questions if anybody else on the site uses a Etrex.

I too have the Garmin Etrex Legend. I wouldn't take a trip without it. I recently drove to Florida and back covering 3300 miles in two weeks. It comes in real handy when one of my kids shouts, "I have to pee!!!" I can determine the closest rest area, McDonalds, gas station, and it will calculate how long it takes to drive those destinations at the current speed your traveling. I haven't used it in a hunting situation other than reading the user guide while sitting in a tree stand. It would have been nice to use it when I hunted turkey at Stephens State Forest Park a few years ago. Even though I had a compass, the 5 mile walk would have been drastically reduced with a GPS.

To really appreciate the power of the Legend, I recommend buying one of the Garmin software packages. I purchased MapSource MetroGuide USA. If you have questions on what you can do with it, or how to use certain functions, I can be of help.

BiMo

I have he Etrex Venture, don't use it to much for hunting, mostly fishing!

jason

I was wanting to save the cost of buying the cd's. I was wondering if you can upload any of the aerial maps or topos that you can download off the internet. I was checking out Garmins webpage earlier to see how to upload stuff but it just said to follow the procedures in the cd's software package that you have to buy. Guess I was looking for a way around spending the extra money. I wanted to upload aerial or topos of the land I hunt and mark hot spots, stand locations, etc with my GPS. Not sure if it is possible though. The legend has 8 meg internal memory. Also curious how much stuff from your cd will fit onto it. Also curious how you can mark boundries and trails and stuff on your pc and upload it to the handheld or even if you can.

I use the etrex legend. I also have the topo software for it. The detail on the topo software isn't the greatest, there aren't a lot of the elevation lines. But it is detailed enough if you have a good topo map to look at. I have been using my to record the locations of all the rubs and scrapes in the areas I hunt. Then I can download them to the computer and get a better idea of the different routes and areas that are showing the most sign. My next mapping project is going to be mapping the deer trails in the area. Doing this has really helped me get a better understanding of how they are using the whole property. I am also going to map all mt stand locations so I can give a copy to the wife so she will know where exactly where I am hunting each time just in case.

If you are hunting all day with it on say in the mountain's how long will a pair of good batteries last,I know you can shut it off after setting a way point but I would rather leave it on to mark my trail back if I'm hunting mountain areas so you do not find yourself looking down the side of a cliff!
confused.gif

Depends which one and what you have turned on for options. Here is what is on their website. I have gone through 1 set of batteries since I owned mine.

eTrex 22 HR (2AA)
eTrex Summit 22 HR (GPS only) 13 HR (GPS and Compass)
eTrex Legend 18 HR (2 AA)
eTrex Venture 20 HR (2 AA)
eTrex Vista 12 HR (2 AA)
eTrex Camo 22 HR (2 AA)

I have the legend and it lasts longer if you turn some options off. Don't remember how much longer.

Top Bottom