Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Guilty/Poaching Bullfrogs

blake

Life Member
The following news article was sent to me byJNRBONC, thanks for sharing with us Randy. :)

NEWS:

Man pleads guilty to poaching bullfrogs

Posted on Jan 26, 2010

MUSCATINE – A Conesville man was ordered to pay $1,005 in fines and faces suspension of his hunting and fishing privileges in Iowa and 30 other states for an additional 10 years after pleading guilty Jan. 22, to 10 counts of illegally taking bullfrogs last summer.

Bradley V. Honts, 26, was charged last June with 12 counts of taking and possessing bullfrogs without a valid fishing license while under suspension and 15 counts of taking and having possession of bullfrogs over the legal daily bag limit while under suspension. At the time of his arrest, Honts was already serving a three-year suspension of his hunting and fishing privileges under the DNR’s multiple offender program after being convicted of a waterfowl hunting violation in 2005 and five violations involving sport turtle trapping in Muscatine County in 2007.

The charges were filed by an Iowa Conservation Officer after Honts was observed at a private pond near West Liberty on June 13, 2009. DNR officials seized 27 bullfrogs, a fishing rod, and a spear from Honts during the investigation. In addition, Honts was arrested and charged by the West Liberty Police Department for driving while barred, an aggravated misdemeanor, in connection with the same incident.

Under the plea agreement, the Iowa DNR will suspend Honts’ hunting and fishing privileges for an additional 10 years and prevent him from participating in those activities in the 30 other states that are members of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant Muscatine County Attorney Korie L. Shippee. Iowa Conservation Officer Tom Campbell said Shippee and the Muscatine County Attorney’s Office should be commended for their commitment to aggressively prosecuting those who flagrantly and willingly violate Iowa’s hunting and fishing regulations.

On December 1, 2009, Honts pleaded guilty to the driving while barred charge. A sentencing date for that charge has been set for February 16, 2010. Honts faces up to two years imprisonment or up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $6,250.

TURN IN POACHERS!

1-800-532-2020

tiplogo.gif

TIP

I thought I recognized that name! What a tool.

This case makes it painfuly obvious that laws only keep honest people honest.

He needs to go away as a habitual offender.

The 'Bonker

Wow. I always forget that bullfrogs are native and regulated back in the midwest. They are a HUGE PIA out here and are a main reason several of the aquatic species in the western U.S. (fish, native frogs, snakes, salamanders, etc.) are Federally protected. Its great that they are upholding the laws, but we could sure use some help out here getting rid of those damn things. One of the perks of my job is getting to actually go out (under the correct permits, of course) and shooting/gigging/seining as many bullfrogs as possible! Your tax dollars hard at work!!

[ne of the perks of my job is getting to actually go out (under the correct permits, of course) and shooting/gigging/seining as many bullfrogs as possible! Your tax dollars hard at work!!/QUOTE]

Do you get to keep and eat them?:confused:

Do you get to keep and eat them?:confused:

If they didn't come from nasty cattle stock tanks, I would. Those tanks are just way too nasty for me to eat anything that's lived in them. Bullfrogs are tough SOBs. My boss gigged one right where the head and thorax meet up, leaving a hole the size of my pinky and it hopped back in the water. We found it the next day crawling across the pond bank. :thrwrck:. A huge rock finished it off. I shot a big ole' female one day in the head (right through the tympanum) with a .22LR HP and she tried to crawl away. A close range follow-up made sure she stopped DRT! :p

Top Bottom