Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Halloween Weekend Hunt

droptinehunter#1

My younger brother and I headed out early Saturday morning for our first hunt of the year. We headed to seperate timbers and got into our stands at about 6:30. Unfortunately I had forgotten my bag that had my calls, release, binoculars, etc., but decided to hunt anyway. I had never practiced or shot without my release so I was a little worried. At about 7:50 a little spike buck was headed right at me from the west, and stopped at about 30 yards. He quickly popped his head up and seemed to look right at me. About that time I heard a deer coming from the east right behind me. I couldn't move much because I didn't want to spook the spike. I turned my head slightly and saw a nice 8 point coming right at me. He passed right by me tree and stopped 10 yards quartering away. It was a little awkward shooting without the release but wasn't too bad. I hit him a little too far back but since he was quartering away I ended up hitting the lungs. He ran about 70 yards and dropped. 10 minutes later my brother sent me a text saying he had just shot a decent 8, but hit a little too low. My dad headed down to help, and my brother snuck out of his timber. We gave his buck 6 hours then went back to track. We followed good blood for at least 250 yards and kicked him up! We backed out and went back yesterday, but had no luck finding him. I'm guessing he didn't hit any vitals. Would have been a cool story to tell if we would've found his buck. Same farm, same morning, and shot our bucks only 10 minutes apart. Anyway, look at how swelled up his neck is in the second pic!!

What do you guys think he scores?? I know he isn't huge but i couldn't pass him up. My second ever buck with a bow and my biggest.

picture.php

picture.php

Congrats. Shooting without a release, when that is what you are used to, is not easy. You must have made a banner shot. :way:

glad you made the most out of the gear you had:D...looks like it all worked out for ya.

as for score, it was enough for you to shoot and he won't be getting any bigger. From the close up of his face he sure looks like a mature buck to me...gray face & tan brown square noggin:way:

Top Bottom