Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Heartbroke dad. (fish story)

SaskGuy

Reid and I got up early last Sunday morning to try some mid lake walleyes. We were jigging a mid lake hump that comes up to about 10 feet. To make a long story short, we never caught a pile of fish but the avg'd 25". However I turned just as he set the hook on a fish. After awhile I knew he had a good one. He eventually got the walleye close to the boat a couple times but not close enough to net. Then it happened, somehow the 30" 10+ plus walleye busted him off. It wasn't his drag, I assume he had a knick in his line from one of the pike we were catching. Dad was heartbroke as it was likely an oversight on his part in not checking the line. A week later I'm still almost a little heartbroke as I know how long it took me to hook into the 10 pound walleye club, he could have at age 6. :(

He's still young, Dad! It's only a matter of time with the fishery you guys have. Now he know's that heartbreakers are just as much a part of nature as anything else and I guarantee he'll be fishing with a chip on his shoulder.

I lost what was potentially a Wis. state record channel cat when I was young due to a line break and just like you, my dad was very upset, as it wasn't really a line break but rather the knot just pulled apart (we learned quick to burn the ends of braided line!). Anyways, he told me how lucky I was to just have an opportunity to land a fish of that caliber and if we fished hard who knows, maybe I'd have another chance. You couldn't keep me off the water from that point on.

I'll never forget watching my brother lose a 10-plus pounder just out of reach of the net in Ontario a few years back. He was heart-broken and so were the rest of us in the boat that day. His simply just tossed the jig at the last second.

Hang in there and more chances will come your son's way ... we all know he's got one of the best guides around in you. It's only a matter of time.

-Longspurs-

not funny, but I smiled at this story. Happy or sad ending, at least you were there with him!

Good stuff

Top Bottom