Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Here we go again EHD????

Found 2 bucks this week. The last one has looked healthy on camera consistently all summer and just found dead. Getting it tested by DNR biologists thought maybe we’d be okay this year with all the moisture.
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Damn.
Has any studies been done on how you fellas dealing with that?
Like treating areas around watering holes with an insecticide?

buddy in Missouri found 4 yesterday.
What part of MO? I posted a month or so ago about smelling lot of death and a buddy had two fresh ones in his pond at that time. Found two does over the weekend that were carcasses that probably died in that timeline as they showed up after planting.

What part of MO? I posted a month or so ago about smelling lot of death and a buddy had two fresh ones in his pond at that time. Found two does over the weekend that were carcasses that probably died in that timeline as they showed up after planting.
North of KC

I have personally seen 2 / one buck and one Doe neighbor found 2 across the street. they were either in or near ponds. this was Monroe county near Albia

And you had a ton of rain there this year. I wonder what's triggering it so bad in SE iowa? Are you guys right next to cattle? Maybe mineral sites? Whatever the reason, it stinks..

I think extra rain is just as bad as a drought. You get a bunch of rain and water comes up and then drops quickly and you have just as much mud as when it drops during a drought perfect for midges. Just my thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that much of southeast Iowa got some rain this morning. Good for crops and food plots I think. Hopefully it’s good news for any EHD issues.

I think extra rain is just as bad as a drought. You get a bunch of rain and water comes up and then drops quickly and you have just as much mud as when it drops during a drought perfect for midges. Just my thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might be right on that to an extent, as far as the hatch of the midge goes.
Really bad droughts though congregate the deer to the only mud flats and water holes that are left.

EVERY YEAR!!!!!! Little rain or ample rain. Little rain: more ehd & bigger outbreaks.
This sucks but…. A little ehd is a “good thing”. Means virus is running through herd & immunity will be built over time. In 15 years- I don’t think I’ve seen one year where there was zero ehd around me. Always a bit at minimum. Sucks.

Side note…. If u able or want to do things to intervene- lot of tools to HELP. Lot of posts previously on it.

Top Bottom