Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Home built stands

Fishbonker

Life Member
Not that I need any more projects, but I was wondering about making my own ladder stands. I thought I'd use 1X1 tubing but I don't know what wall thickness would be best. There are a couple of "telephone pole" oaks that could use a 20 foot ladder that I could just leave up year round so on those days that I only have a couple of hours to hunt I wouldn't waste time setting up my climber.

Anyway, I was thinking 1X1 tubing, 20 feet long 16 inches between rungs, 16 inches wide and I'm not sure how deep the seat and foot area will be. Not sure how many braces between tree and ladder, which could be determined by wall thickness. Any help would be appreciated.

There are two kinds of home made stands, those that came crashing down and those that are gonna.

The 'Bonker

Bonker,
I have some plans I downloaded last year, I would be more than willing to send them to you via E-mail.
Your profile says you are into jeeps. Newer jeeps or Willy's?
Bowdude

Unless you have the material on hand or can get it wholesale the cost of the material is likely to be more than you can purchase one for.
The ones you buy come with things your homemade one will not. Liability comes to mind, not to mention a design developed by an engineer who understands all the things you will assume. (assumption is the mother of all @#$^ - ups)
Be safe. your family deserves it.
I've make a good number of stands in the past. Some better than others. All work fine, but the low cost of good stands let's little reason to spend the time and effort making them.

These stands can easily be built, but I also would look at cost of mat. vs. purchasing a basic ladder stand, they've really come down on $$ with more competition. If you're not going to customize by making an extra-wide ladder and larger platform/seat, this would seem to be the way to go. That having been said you can probably build one at least as safe and probably more useful/comfortable than these models if it's done right, but the construction will be time-consuming. I would recommend bolts, not welds and weigh the cost before starting.

Thanks for the replies. I realize how inexpensive ladder stands are these days. I bought one. It squeeks. Its not quite 15' high. My idea was to build a one piece stand to eleminate the squeeks and perhaps tailor it to the tree. But like I said I have plenty of other projects that need my attention.

Bowdudue: When I bought my first Jeep I didn't know there was a big model change between 75 and 76. It was a 75 that had been hammered on by a couple of kids. If I had it to do all over I'd get a 77-78 CJ-5 with the 304 and t150. They had bigger brakes that year. Anyway, Its hard enough to find parts for the 73 and 75 I have. I also have some old Oliver tractors, thats why I didn't go with the Willys cause I'd been down the "you want a what for a what?" at the parts store.

Thanks again for the replies.

The 'Bonker

LADDER STANDS ARE SO CHEAP RIGHT NOW I REALLY DONT KNOW WHY ANYBODY WOULD WANT TO BUILD-- IF THE CREAKING IS AN ISSUE BUY IT AND WELD IT-IT WILL VOID MOST WARRANTYS TO MODIFY, BUT THAT MAY NOT BE AN ISSUE. A 20 FOOT LADDER CAN BE PURCHASED FOR AROUND 100 BUCKS AND THE MANUFACTURED CARRIES A MINIMUM OF 1 MILLION DOLLARS LIABILITY, SOME CARRY UP TO 5 MILLION. CREAKS CAN BE FIXED WITH A QUICK SPRAY OF PAM COOKING SPRAY PRIOR TO ASSEMBLY AND THE VEGIE OIL DOES'T SMELL AFTER A FEW DAYS.I OWN SOME 20 LADDERS AND THEY DONT CREAK--PUT EM IN TIGHT AND SPRAY EM. SOME HAVE SPRAY FOAM IN, THAT ALSO KEEPS EM QUIET. JUST TRYING TO KEEP YA COMING DOWN FEET FIRST......M350 OUT

Pam, now thats a good suggestion. Foam filled? DO you use that insulation in a can and just fill up the tubes? Does that help quiet them also or does it help keep your bottom warm?

More good info, man I luv this site!

The 'Bonker

PS I never even thought about welding the pieces together. With my limited abillity to weld THIN metal I'll probably burn through a few times, but what the heck, life is a learning process.

Bonker,
I know what you mean about having a hard time finding parts. I have had 3 Willy's Jeeps, but since I been married I don't have the toy problems anymore.
Mama seems to think they cost to much to fix them when they break.
We have been looking at a 550 Oliver with wide front, power steering, and a three point.
They are asking $3800.00. I don't know if thats a good price? For what we do the ACWD-45 is working fine for now.
The plans I have for ladder stands I was going to modify to 20 feet and make them to stay. I have a uncle who own's a metal shop who said go with angle iron for the rails and rebar for the steps.
This way water can't find a place to sit.
BOWDUDE

When I hunted from the air I allways built my own ladder stands. Some wood, some steel. I made my own for one reason and it was not to save money. It was because when my butt is on the line I'm not trusting it to some enginer that designed a stand. I built it, I trust it! Plain and simple. The best homebuilt I ever seen though was one a friend has. It's made from 2 inch exhaust pipe. Swedged at 10 ft. so it can be taken apart. It's lightweight and strong. They just rolled the top 2 ft. in for a platform and put expanded metal on it. Build
some, be safe and have fun. Jay

Bowdude:

3800 for a 550? Wayyyyy too much. Can you give me a phone number for the owner? Can you give me directions to his house? Will he be home tomorrow? Will he take a check? Tell him I can get him cash if wants it.

Seriously, If it runs, the tires hold air and the hydraulics work 3800 is a good deal. There are collectors out there who would pay that much for a 550 with problems. Make sure it runs good, slap some paint and good decals on it and you could probably get 5K at the right auction. If I had a chance at a GOOD 550 I'd pay 3800 in a heart beat, and I'm about the cheapest person you'll ever meet.

The 'Bonker

I looked at a 550 w/loader last spring, nice but clutch was going out, it was in Colfax tractor parts boneyard $4500. Ended up with IH 460 Utility.

I buy hang-on stands but use them with 4"x4" treated posts. I bought a couple 16 foot posts and drove 10 inch spikes in for pegs. I just leave them in the woods all year and use ratchet straps to set them against the tree in the fall. 4 years and going strong.

Nobody is going to carry a 16 foot 4x4 out of the woods. You can, but who would want it!

No offense, but what is the attraction of the 550? I suppose because they're like an 8N Ford or other utility model; paying for wide front. Otherwise expensive for so little hp. Not sure how you're using them, but you can put belly mowers and loaders on a lot of the other Oly models and would be cheaper. How about 1550? Probably need one to drag those 4x4's into the timber, but I like the idea.

Top Bottom