Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Home made mineral recipe

I used a homemade mineral recipe I got off this site. For some reason the deer are barely touching it. Its been out since April and they just aren't attacking this stuff like some of my friends mingeral licks. Any idea why this might be? Too much salt? I mixed in some dry mollases with one batch and they didn't like that much either. Could it have anything to do with the soil in the ground where I put it, because a friend of mine used this and said it was tore up 12" deep and 5 feet wide. Do you guys have any other suggestions for a homemade recipe that has worked for you?

Here's the recipe:
WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Printable version
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until ready to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

Did you mix it into the soil real good?

The deer actually eat the dirt after the mix has soaked into the soil.

Another thing, try and keep the site moist.

When it gets real dry, dump some buckets of water in it.

Some areas will naturally get more useage than others. Stay heavy on the salt, that is the attractant.
waytogo.gif

Ghost, do you think they can smell the salt being it is the attractant.
confused.gif

I tried mixing mine with the soil but basically where mine are they seem to be eating the soil around the minerals left there, is this b/c it's leeching into the soil?

I'm not sure about their ability to smell the salt. But yes, they are eating the dirt that has absorbed the salt/minerals.

[ QUOTE ]
1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Look for the highest amounts of calcium and phosphorus on the lable.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need two bags.

2 parts Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need two bags.

(I like to add a bag of Sweet Mag as well! )

[/ QUOTE ]
I used this one this year and added dried molasses like you stated. It was pretty tore up. I noticed you only had 1 - part of stock salt maybe you should add another part?
Shouldn't make much difference but I am sure it would not hurt. Keep us posted.

The least palatable part of the mix is the dical. Cut that back, or put a pile of just salt next to your mix and see if they hit the salt alone.

[ QUOTE ]
The least palatable part of the mix is the dical. Cut that back, or put a pile of just salt next to your mix and see if they hit the salt alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not the point of the mix, it's not an attractant it's a mineral site, the salt is just to get them to eat the dical and trace minerals. The Idea is to keep the salt to the minimum needed to get the deer to eat it.

With 2 parts trace mineral salt (mostly salt) and 1 part stock salt there's more than enough salt.

I'd look at location as a possible issue, maybe they just haven't found it yet?

Supplementing P won't do any good if they don't eat it. The idea of putting out some straight salt or TM salt if you'd like is to see if they are even in the area.

[ QUOTE ]
to see if they are even in the area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know there was anyplace in east central Iowa that didn't have deer!
grin.gif

IMO this mix is well over 50% salt that should be more than enough and all the others with foot deep holes where they put it (including myself) is evidence of it's attractiuon. I can't imagine there aren't deer in the vicinity, and even if they have other salt/mineral sources like livestock mineral stations you would think that any mineral station within the cover of the timber would become the most used source.

Is this lick near any deer trails?

where would you put this mixture ? im guessing buy travel root`s in woods , damp area, in between bedding area`s and food plot`s. first timer at this. this my first year at food plot`s too, so what heck ill mix up some salt and give it a shot .
30571-green1.gif

I have several sites out in Iowa and Michigan. I have one behind my house and can monitor it well. I've seen deer walk right by or even walk around it. A couple of them have been hit no doubt, but they aren't dug up like some of my buddys sites. I put a trail cameral over it and got very few deer actually working the lick, just smelling it and then passing by.

My sites see more use after sitting a while after being resupplied. I wonder if it is because over time it is somewhat diluted and not so strong. Kinda like a tease. Just my .02.

I use a similar type of mixing style, but use far less salt %'s. Yes, it does cost a little more, but the deer are getting more of the vitamins/minerals that they need for antler growth. The salt does not do anything for antler growth, it just draws them to the site. I would say that having 25-30% salt in the mix is more than enough. That is just my opinion and how I run my mineral sites.

I've been using this exact mixture at a wilderness site in northern Minnesota for about 4 years. I have to pack it all in on my back but its certainly been worth it. I have it in a shady spot close to water and the deer have really torn it up. I first put it out in the spring of the year and now refill every October for the following spring. It works! The deer have torn the area up and have a hole dug into the ground thats close to three feet deep. Its one of my better summer camera sites.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ridgerunner7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

</div></div>

I'm having trouble finding di-cal and the only place that has it wants $22.50/bag. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif I'm not happy about that!

I use 2 parts Dicall and 1 part trace mineral salt. Mix that up dump in shallow pit then sprinkle some NATURAL Arm n Hammer Baking Wash over the top. Again make sure it is the A + H Natural baking soda wash. If I remember right the baking wash is the same thing as deer cain, look at the ingrediants. Works good for me.

Top Bottom