Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Honeysuckle treatment

Austin

I have an area that is completely taken over by honeysuckle. What is the best way to go about getting rid of it? Cut it and stump spray, foliar spray? What herbicide works best, and lastly is any particular time of yr better than the rest?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Simple to deal with - just takes some effort. Depends on size and severity of invasion.. if its fully mature honeysuckle, and a lot of it, a mulcher works great for large areas quickly.

Also cut and treat stumps with triclopyr or tordon. Be careful with tordon if desirable trees in area as it can get in the root systems. Just takes lots of sweat and time, easy enough tho. Follow with a foliar spray of any that may sprout with triclopyr3.

We've pulled them with bucket of skid steer - they have very shallow roots so they come right out. Can pull most small plants by hand fairly easy.

If they aren't super large, you could have good luck doing a foliar spray in November when other foliage has went dormant. Obviously not the best option if it's near deer that you wanna hunt this fall. Can spray anytime as long as not worried about killing other plants.

Burning is also a good option - if available leaf litter - as they have hollow trunks and good fire can kill young plants very well.

Plenty of more detailed information in this forum, and a simple enough issue to take care of.

Triclopyr is not recommended for honey suckle. Only mildly affective. If cutting and doing stump treatment 50% gly solution is recommended.

I REALLY like triclopyr for certain things like locust. It is very affective on Sericea Lespedeza as well.

Last edited:
20230604_085534.jpg

You can see a couple dead honeysuckle in this pic I snapped this am. This is some smaller stuff that we hit with triclopyr3, gly, 24d 2 weeks ago or so. Had tons of ivy in this area of the yard so we wanted to kill everything. Nuked it pretty good, some larger stuff I didn't get 100% foliar coverage so some leave remain. I may hit it again this fall.

Triclopyr is not recommended for honey suckle. Only mildly affective. If cutting and doing stump treatment 50% gly solution is recommended.
Interesting... Isn't triclopyr 4 specifically for stump applications?? Have had great luck with it, even on 15' mature bushes. Always had some gly in there as well I spose.

View attachment 125287

You can see a couple dead honeysuckle in this pic I snapped this am. This is some smaller stuff that we hit with triclopyr3, gly, 24d 2 weeks ago or so. Had tons of ivy in this area of the yard so we wanted to kill everything. Nuked it pretty good, some larger stuff I didn't get 100% foliar coverage so some leave remain. I may hit it again this fall.
You will smoke about anything with that recipe for sure. Nuclear.

Gly & 2,4-d are cheap & effective. If u are concerned with triclopyr - add those 2. Way safer than tordon if u r gonna get a lot of spray out.

Triclopyr is used most commonly as basal bark application or foliar spray.
I use Garlon 4 with bark oil for stumps an basal application. Garlon 3a and water for foliar. Does a good job. Milestone for black locust. I prefer to pull honeysuckle then foliar vs mulch personally. Done it both ways but pulling is easy then stack and burn.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Wanting to get started on ridding of honeysuckle this winter now that season is about wrapped up. Any problems doing it this time of year? Or is another time of year yield better results? Also I have alot of this tree in the same area. Can anyone tell me what it is, it is also very thick along the same hillside.
Thanks
20240104_122822.jpg
20240104_122740.jpg
20240104_122726.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom