Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

House File 2015 - Landowner Tag Changes

Multiple repeated and rehashed comments in here from numerous other posts.

What I haven't heard anyone talk about is the negative impact landowners will create for themselves in over hunting their properties with floating tag implementation. So what if you have 4.5 months to hunt a spot if you blow it out in EM.

I'll bet IW a dollar that this new legislation won't increase our statewide mature buck harvest #'s any more than 3% in the initial year and the difference will be too miniscule to be calculated/measured beyond year 1.

Absolutely agree- I had been very vocal since youth tags went that way. I’ve got 2 little girls, I want them to understand hunting is a choice, and it’s not a last option to just do it when it works. I want them to know that not all seasons end with a deer. That’s part of the hunt. My first couple years I never tagged anything and that was ok! Made me try harder and really instilled that drive. If I teach my girls- oh we will only hunt the good days, what do they learn? That it can be that way- then things like this slide in and now boom- floating tags are here
I have my doubts that a buck tag will become a floating tag anytime soon. The revenue lost would be significantly higher if the statewide tag went to floating. I just can’t see Iowa leading the way with a floating statewide tag as there are very few, if any, states with that type of tag on a wide scale basis. Governors tags maybe but not many statewide, season long tags. The net revenue lost on the antlered LOT licenses would not likely be significant. I sure hope I am right anyway….

My vote would be to go on the offensive next season and do away with all landowner tags. Understand this comes from some one that owns almost 1000 acres and can for sure capitalize on this change.
I'd be all for this but I'd guess there would way more push back on this than what you'd think. The focus should be damage control and stopping it where it's at.

I have my doubts that a buck tag will become a floating tag anytime soon. The revenue lost would be significantly higher if the statewide tag went to floating. I just can’t see Iowa leading the way with a floating statewide tag as there are very few, if any, states with that type of tag on a wide scale basis. Governors tags maybe but not many statewide, season long tags. The net revenue lost on the antlered LOT licenses would not likely be significant. I sure hope I am right anyway….
The way our governor likes to sign floating tag bills I hope you’re right! As of now her record is less then stellar

They could sell a $150 floating "super tag" good for all seasons. No lost revenue at all. Not in the short term anyway, and that seems to be all anyone cares about.

The only possible lost revenue will most likely be from people that only hunt their own land. If they have one target buck that they don’t get during archery, they won’t need a statewide for gun season. Those of us that hunt our own + other will still have to purchase a statewide. On that point, will it be abused? I’m sure there will be some that push their luck but it’s the same ones that are doing it now. People that shoot 2 or 3 every year will still need to purchase a statewide. I can’t see any way that it will affect overall #’s. If anything, it may help when guys know they have more time to get their target. Instead of shooting something just to use the tag, they’ll hold off for the next season and a chance at their target.

They could sell a $150 floating "super tag" good for all seasons. No lost revenue at all. Not in the short term anyway, and that seems to be all anyone cares about.
Yeah I get what you are saying but what state does this now? Wyoming on some general elk tags and I believe Utah on some general licenses. Don’t know of large scale whitetail tags structured like this in Midwest. You really think Iowa is going to lead the way with a tag like this? I just don’t see it. Not to mention I think the economics don’t work to support that decision.

I have to say...all of these undecided lobbyist are concerning. Politics and incrementalism is a big chess game, they should always be for or against or they're not giving it enough thought.

The way our governor likes to sign floating tag bills I hope you’re right! As of now her record is less then stellar

In all reality I would be willing to bet she thought she is doing the land owners of iowa a favor. (Which she is for probably at least 1/2 of the land owner /hunters here)

Not saying I agree or disagree with the bill. I recognize it will make it easier to purse and target a particular buck which if only after a particual deer or adge class will In turn lower the over all age class.

Scarry how it slid by with no chatter here or anywhere else.....

I’m an outlier on this one as I don’t care. LO tags have been around forever so what if they float. I’ve read many posts here that very few shoot “ multiple bucks” even though they can. Does this change that? I don’t think so. Opposing every piece of legislation is disingenuous. Focus and be surgical. Open doors to NR access is the single thing that will kill the state. Period. Focus there and don’t let it happen.

I’m an outlier on this one as I don’t care. LO tags have been around forever so what if they float. I’ve read many posts here that very few shoot “ multiple bucks” even though they can. Does this change that? I don’t think so. Opposing every piece of legislation is disingenuous. Focus and be surgical. Open doors to NR access is the single thing that will kill the state. Period. Focus there and don’t let it happen.
Crossbows and more outfitters are right there with more NR hunters in my opinion. We need to come into the capital with an army if these issues go to a vote next year.

I do think this was the general sentiment of those who didn’t really like this change but kept their powder dry for other battles. Political capital and ammo are finite and very real. Offense & defense. We absolutely need to use all of it on the disasters…. I would say offensively, 2 steps forward, 1 back could be a viable path. In reality, 2-3 big steps forward & 1 minor step back is the goal. Agree- defend against the worst. Fight for the “big changes” we need (& yes- we have a list of big changes & they are very doable).

Land owner tags are the most mis understood, abused and un enforced tags Iowa has. Read the regulations on who qualifies.

Buy a farm to hunt on and cash rent the tillable, you don’t qualify. The exception is enrolling in crp.

Landowner or tenant (renter) qualifies not both and are only allowed one anysex and 3 antlerless wether one person or as a family.

I live in farm country, south central iowa, on my own little farm. Maybe one out of ten of the farmers I know hunt deer. Getting permission to hunt is as easy as asking and being willing to shoot some does, it’s still a good area for trophy bucks.

I don’t agree with this change but I don’t see it affecting my area much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Land owner tags are the most mis understood, abused and un enforced tags Iowa has. Read the regulations on who qualifies.

Buy a farm to hunt on and cash rent the tillable, you don’t qualify. The exception is enrolling in crp.

Landowner or tenant (renter) qualifies not both and are only allowed one anysex and 3 antlerless wether one person or as a family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntings rights are defined in the contract. A lot of LO’s around here keep the hunting rights, not the tenant.

I agree with you tho. It is abused and not enforced much. An example I put in a previous post, a LO can claim 1 parcel, a tenant or other family mbr claims another parcel, and they hunt all of the parcels because it’s the family farm.

The tag needs restricted to the parcel that it’s issued for. It would still get abused but making the penalty a loss of that tag may deter some. Or let’s do a full 180, does it really matter which side of the fence it’s shot on?

Last edited:
Yeah I get what you are saying but what state does this now? Wyoming on some general elk tags and I believe Utah on some general licenses. Don’t know of large scale whitetail tags structured like this in Midwest. You really think Iowa is going to lead the way with a tag like this? I just don’t see it. Not to mention I think the economics don’t work to support that decision.
It exists. Nebraska is a good example. They have a statewide, season floating "restricted" (i.e. whitetail only) buck tag, open from September 1-Dec 31. I think its about $80 for residents and open to NR too, obviously at a much higher price point.

It exists. Nebraska is a good example. They have a statewide, season floating "restricted" (i.e. whitetail only) buck tag, open from September 1-Dec 31. I think its about $80 for residents and open to NR too, obviously at a much higher price point.
Interesting. Why wouldn’t everyone do that?

Anyone I know there that doesn't strictly gun hunt does just that. Their landowner tags are also floating. I'm not saying they are a bastion of good management for mature bucks but these types of tags are out there in the midwest.

Top Bottom