Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How are the birds acting?

G

GunnerJon

I'm stuck here at college trying to finish up studying for my finals and haven't been out in the woods since 2nd season. I probably won't get out to hunt 4th season til the 12th or so, which is when I am done with classes. Just wondering how much they are gobbling right now and how henned up they are. Lemme know what you guys are seeing and hearing. Thanks, good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

Gunner, Hunted this weekend in eastern Iowa, The birds here aren't cooperating very well. They hit the ground and go the other way. Won't respond to the calls much at all. I think tey are seriously Henned up! I harvested a 25#er during 3rd season and he was with 6 hens. Got real lucky, Got to within 30 yards of his roost. When the hens flew down they flew directly behind me. Once he flew down he walked right past me to the hens. I shot him at 25 yards. I am hoping its a different story by next weekend,thats when I'll get to hit the woods again! Hope this helps! Good Luck! EJBuck

We were hunting our farm in South-Central Iowa today and the birds were gobbling a lot and when they hit the ground some went quiet but others kept gobbling. We did see 6 birds, 5 hens, 1 longbeard all in one large group. The tom never let out of strut and we watched to bird strut for 20 or so, min. and he was gobbling about every 5 but he wouldn't leave his hens.

Overall, give them a week and the hens should be nesting.

P.S. The hens have started nesting, we busted one off hen nest when we were looking for morels. She did have 5 eggs and we know she'll lay more so we went the other way so she could come back and lay and sit on her eggs, and my future trophy toms.

Hey deerslayer, where in southern Iowa are you at?
Me and the old man just got permission to hunt around 1000 acres down by albia. Couldnt believe we fell into it. We went down Monday and had at least 15 birds gobbling in and area about the size of a football field on a ridge. Couldnt believe it. We had a spot around the same area a few years ago but things kind of went sour and we lost it but its good to be back down there. There are so many birds you actually have to listen to them and then just decide which one you wanna hunt, unbelievable. Were leavin here in about 3 hours to head down there so wish us luck.

Happy Huntin
Numba1

Were located in Decatur County about 3 miles Northeast of Grand River. We own 160 acres of Timber and CRP that is great for Turkeys and Deer and were working on the Pheasant population.

Sounds like a great place you got there! Your lucky you found such a great place, most people spendtheir entire lives finding good hunting places and I think both you and I have some great places to be shooting some trophy animals.

Deerslayer

numba1hunta i'm from south central iowa, i know the 1000 arces unit very well. i turkey hunt, deer hunt and shoon hunt that area from time to time. lots of good hunting everywhere down there. i'm from marion county, melcher-dallas. good luck

Top Bottom