Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How big?

I was watching a show on the outdoor channel I believe it was realtree and Lee Lakosky was on and they were talking about managing properties. He manages 6,000 acres and has over 600 acres of food plots WOW! I believe he has four different farms I bet he is pretty busy. It got me thinking if you were to build a dream property how many acres would you consider a minimum if you are not relying on neighboring properties to help keep the deer in the area?
ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
:drink2:
Those were his exact words on an episode of Monster Bucks this year I thought it sounded pretty unreal to me also. I bet Lee really hates the shotgun season thats a lot of ground to patrol

Lakosky

I am sure many would like to have Lee Lakosky's life an job, but even if I had his opportunity, it wouldn't work for me. I have 4 boys and a wife that does not hunt... and they are my priority. With football games, concerts, school activities, It would be impossible for me to do what he does, and I am sure many of you are in the same boat as I am... I would not miss one of their games for anything, therefore my fall trips are somewhat limited.

On the other hand, we get to hunt together often and all three of my boys tagged a buck or doe this year. What a blast! I am the only one who has not filled a tag this year, although I am picky...;)

640 ACRES, if you didn't push it would probably be big enough to hold deer. I remember that episode and it was like 800 acres of food plots and over 200 deer stands.

Give me 200 acres with a nice litte cabin where I can go with friends and family on weekends just to get away!

Give me 200 acres with a nice litte cabin where I can go with friends and family on weekends just to get away!

The realization of it all. I would love to just have the quote above. I currently own about 17 acres.... More would be nice but does one really need thousands to enjoy? Don't get me wrong, I have thought about the dream farms of thousands of acres with plots, crops, hardwoods, etc etc. With that large amount of land comes a much higher maintenance expense and headache policing the ground.

There is a farm I hunt on occasion that if it were managed right and the goofballs that "coon hunt" and spot light it are kept out, could produce giant bucks every single season...farm size is about 300 acres and has it all. I would take that farm over most farms I have seen anywhere.

I have said this before,,and I still believe it. You need enough land so deer can live on it mostly undisturbed by humans.From what I hear from others, and from my experience paying for a hunt in the west, if animals are left to themselves, you'll get to see them more often, including older animals. I have 40 acres, and I enjoy it. Except for a couple does, it is not enough for deer to stay on. Mine is a corridor between all the neighbors. I have bed areas, thick ones and some plots, but deer need lots of wander room throughout the year. Most of my neighbors are doing all kinds of stuff on their properties, cows,,quads,,,shootin guns, I can't control the interactions around me. If I had enough land I would give the deer minimal disturbances and it would effect what I saw. As it is on my 40, most of it I only walk through in the early spring, leaving it the rest of the yr. At least the deer know they won't get hassled on my little acreage.

Top Bottom