Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How fast is you internet connection?

G

Can you run streaming video or long MPEGS yet?

Example, the old dialup service we were on ran at 43,000 Baud. Today we have DSL and run at twice that speed.

We are curious to see what our readers can view and can't view.

PS, our DSL is a country service, not a town or a metro service.

Streaming video here in Waterloo with regular phone hook-up is slow and frustrating. It really makes a guy think of getting a cable connection. I don't know the exact spec's, but it could be alot better.
Bruce

43,000 bps would be great, the best that we can get is 28,000 and most times it is 26,500. There different parts of the town that can get 48,000. They have just offered DSL here, but little pricey, and we only have one provider INS.

later
Doug

414 kb/second cable hookup is awsome. I recommend it for anyone who spends any time on the internet. Not only do you have the speed your phone line is always free, no busy signals.

414 kb/second cable hookup is awsome. I recommend it for anyone who spends any time on the internet. Not only do you have the speed, your phone line is always free, no busy signals.

I have a @home cable modem through Mediacom (Use to be ATT) They advertize up to 1 mb of download speed. I have clocked downloads upwards of 800kps on it! It is a little costly (~45 a month) but after you are hooked on it, there is no goin back!

I think you can be safe in figuring that the
majority of user's are 28000 or slower.Their is just to many old phone lines around the country.

I have just installed a wireless service that boasts a 128k or 256k connection. A little spendy $45 but, if you take in account what an extra phone line costs it makes up for it.

Top Bottom