Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How often does a wounded buck go to water?

Mandity

I shot a big buck but it was a little high and alittle far back. I think I might have got the liver but not sure. Shot him last night and left him till this morning. Found alittle blood but not a whole lot. Was wondering how often does a buck that is wounded go to water?

If there is water near by, probably be headed that way, but if you got the liver, he probably won't make it there.

Thats where I found my wounded doe last year. Huddled in by the riverbank. She even tried to swim in the January river to get away from me.

I could see the arrow and broad head sticking out the other side a couple inches. Like I said I hit him kinda high and far back and he was quartering away. He ducked my arrow alittle bit. I would have to say if it was 3 to 4 inches higher it would of spined him. The only blood I found which was like mayber 8 to 10 drops the size of a nickel, penny. It to me looked like it was a bright redish pink, without bubbles. Looked for 5 hours today. Still looking through the section I shot him in.

If 3 to 4 inches higher would have caught the spine, I'd say you would've had to catch lungs. I'm guessing your hit is actually above the spine.

Isnt the spine of a deer the very most top part of the back. Also wouldnt the arrow not even actually hit the deer.

Looking back at the video I got of the shot it looks to me that it probably entered about 4 inches behind the ribs and came out right at the ribs maybe. Also I hit it kinda high. So I was wondering if I hit it in the spleen, liver, or intestines what my chances are of finding him.

Your chances are very good because these are fatal hits, however I strongly recomend that you wait at least 12 hrs if you are unsure of your hit especially if you think you may have gotten guts. If you hit liver he will be dead sooner however you do not want to bump this deer before he dies because then you will likely not find him and he will be in the next county.

Obviosuly try and look for blood if you can not follow a blood trail start doing circles from the last spot you had blood. If you can not find the deer or anymore sign check all the water areas near the area you hunt. Also look for crows, they will sometimes hover around a dead deer.

Good Luck

Top Bottom