Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How Old is that Shed ... by Chris Lane

OneCam

Have you ever found an "aged" shed and actually wondered how old it really was?

I actually have 4 sheds to deer I killed that were that picked up after they had laid on the ground for more than a year. One was picked up a year after the harvest thus making it a year old. Two of sheds lay two years and yet another laid for 4 years!

The shed from a buck I killed in 2001 that is 4 years old is in pretty darn good condition. In fact here's a picture before we picked it up in the spring of 2004.
157boots.jpg

At 4 years old I felt very fortunate and confident that this was probably the rarest of opportunities considering the shape it was in for Iowa. Never did I think that I would find a shed later that spring that was nearly 10 years older.

It was late in the shed season last year when a buddy and I decided to cover some new ground after work. We hadn't gone far when I worked my way over to a small thicket that I been meaning to hit that year. As I slowly walked through I just happen to notice a tine barely poking through the weeds. As I tugged on it and to my surprise a huge shed pulled out. It was apparent that it had been there for a while in fact the shed showed signs of decay and was severely stained green - thus we dubbed it the "green giant". It scored around 80".

157chance4.jpg

A few weeks after finding the shed I showed it to a few friends and one without hesitation he stated he knew who owned the other side. Well of course I followed up on this as I also knew this individual and that's where this story takes an interesting turn.

My friend did in fact have the matched shed - in fact he also owned the buck mount as it was killed by a vehicle the following year.

After studying the salvage tag it occurred to me that the shed I had found was 13 years old as the buck was hit in the fall of 1991.

157mount.jpg

It's amazing to me that that shed laid there in that patch of cover, under those weeds for that long. I am happy to say that the shed has been re-united with the other side.

Makes you wonder how old some of those sheds really are.

157shed1.jpg

157shed2.jpg

Note that the other side was found in 1993 almost fully buried in mud.

Top Bottom