Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

how to hunt Monday

C

Chipguy

Hey guys I am still a rookie at this deer hunting and need some advice on how to bowhunt after shotgun season is over? Last year I tagged out before shotgun season started and this year I have been little chooser than last year. I just don't know if there is anything I need to do different than I had been doing. I have a stand set up that had lots of activity in the middle of the timber that always seem to be the hot spot. I missed my deer that I would rough score 120 that was at 20 yards. I was going to take doe that came in behind me and was at full draw on her and then out of the corner of my eye I saw him triling her and turned every so slowly and was locked in on him. I let the arrow go and the arrow skiped off a limb that was up in the tree I was in that didn't show up in the peep sight, and the arrow went 10 yards over him and was a clean miss and he went 20 yards and tryed to figure out what happened. I had a 140 that was within 20 yards that I passed on without a good shot, still haven't figured out how they move in and out of those shooting lanes, but that was ok. My only goal this year was to witness a large buck that would be within shooting range and enjoy the moment. I don't regret not shooting at the big boy, very happy that someday I may see him again with a different outcome. I hope that this post doesn't go into a fourm fight. I just want some ideas as what you will be doing different or the same, before shotgun season started.

later
thanks
Doug

Well Chipguy, I probably will start by wearing warmer clothes. Next I'll sit in one of my regular spots and try to pattern the deer again, and move stands accordingly. If your area got heavy pressure during slug season, be extra quiet when you shut car doors etc because the deer will be wild. But mostly, rut usually is dead so I pay closer attention to food sources again.

Good Luck

IaCraig

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chipguy:
Hey guys I am still a rookie at this deer hunting and need some advice on how to bowhunt after shotgun season is over? Last year I tagged out before shotgun season started and this year I have been little chooser than last year. I just don't know if there is anything I need to do different than I had been doing. I have a stand set up that had lots of activity in the middle of the timber that always seem to be the hot spot. I missed my deer that I would rough score 120 that was at 20 yards. I was going to take doe that came in behind me and was at full draw on her and then out of the corner of my eye I saw him triling her and turned every so slowly and was locked in on him. I let the arrow go and the arrow skiped off a limb that was up in the tree I was in that didn't show up in the peep sight, and the arrow went 10 yards over him and was a clean miss and he went 20 yards and tryed to figure out what happened. I had a 140 that was within 20 yards that I passed on without a good shot, still haven't figured out how they move in and out of those shooting lanes, but that was ok. My only goal this year was to witness a large buck that would be within shooting range and enjoy the moment. I don't regret not shooting at the big boy, very happy that someday I may see him again with a different outcome. I hope that this post doesn't go into a fourm fight. I just want some ideas as what you will be doing different or the same, before shotgun season started.

later
thanks
Doug
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey dude, just surfing the web, always have to come back to this sight and see what is happening. Just reading what you have said, for the first thing that I read , and you repeated it is your shooting. I don't know how much you practice in between time, but for what my experience has been, you need too practice more often. Make sure you are in the clothes that you wear while you are huting. Take the most clothes that you wear and try to shoot the way that you do, when you are in just a T shirt, I guarentee it will be alot different. Practice, Practice, You can't get enough

Theo

Didn't make it to a tree today, but I did do some serious glassing from the road. I will continue to glass areas where I know good bucks hang out. Once I have what I am looking for spotted then I will go in. Typically the later in the season it gets the better the hunting, atleast that has been my past. Another reason for my not running to my stand today is my broken wrist, I just got my cast off today so it's gonna take a week or so to get back in the groove.

No matter what time of the year, the best chance to harvest a deer is when your in the woods or in your stand.So good luck to all you late season "die-hards" you never know what might just walk by.

Good Hunting,

TLH

Top Bottom