Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hows the food plots doing???

B

BIGBUCKDOWN!!

How is everyone's food plots doing and have they been getting some rain??

If you think a couple inches a week is enough, yes
smirk.gif

I am thinking I might need to dig up part of my clover plot and seed it this fall.

I do have some gophers in it too, which is another problem!
frown.gif

Rained just right for getting late planted beans in the ground, could have used some rain 2 weeks ago but the most recent is very welcome. Beans that were drilled into grass had some cover from the deer and aren't getting browsed as hard- the ones in the open are eaten off about 4 inches high. Thought with 5 acres we would have enough to keep ahead of them a little but they are getting pounded. Will probably have to interseed something like rye this fall.

Rape and turnips are booming. Roundup ready corn is mixed. Two plots are doing good, the other had a bunch of volunteer corn that ended up looking like light green grass. Didn't get sprayed until last week to kill volunteer corn so jury is out but I am sure that stand will be weak. Two clover plots have been mowed twice so far and look good. Hey pharmer, sounds like you could use some high powers in your area over Thanksgiving to take care of those overgrazers.
grin.gif

Just got 1.2 inches this morning. My 8 acres of beans are just getting pounded by the deer. I have does in the field by mid morning and have had 6 bucks out there every night until the neighbors started shooting fireworks, but they will be back in a few days once the booming quits. I have only seen once set of twins and the neighbor hit one fawn with the hay mower. Looks like a good year.

Finally got up to the food plot last weekend. I'm a little concerned with the amount of grass. The problem is I am new to these food plots so I'm not really sure it IS grass. I'm hoping not! We planted a bunch of tree's with the hope of having a decent windbreak in the future for when we build on it. I was SHOCKED to see how huge the turnips were! We bulldozed the woods (future home site) out in April and I planted my food plot Mothers Day weekend. The only thing that I am real concerned about is there is getting to be a TON of Poplar trees sprouting back up. If I don't get those under control I fear they will take over my plot and I will be back to square one in 5 or so years when we want to build on it. Any sugestions on how to kill little baby Poplar trees without killing my food plot?

Dean, Are the trees taller than the plot? Which blend is that plot?

Wildlife Cover blend
Red milo
Rye Grain
Buckwheat
Piper Sudan Grass
Lespedezia
Red Top Turnips
Crimson Clover
Indian Grass
Big Bluestem
Little Bluestem
Switchgrass
Canada Wild Rye
Buffalo Grass
Partridge Pea

Fall Forage Wildlife Food Blend
Winter Rye
Hard Red Wheat
Buckwheat
Rape Seed
Red Milo
Hairy Vetch
Forage Turnip
Purple-top Turnip
Kale
Rutabaga

Deer and Wildlife Food Plot
Red Milo
Oats
Hard Red Wheat
Buckwheat
Barley
Rye Grain
White Proso Millet
Red Proso Millet
Japanese Millet
Austrian Winter Pea
Rape Seed
Alfalfa
Medium Red Clover
Ladino Clover
Crimson Clover
Alsike Clover
Ladino Clover
White Dutch Clover
Chickory
Forage Turnip
Purple-Top Turnip

I'm thinking it's the Deer and Wildlife food plot. The Poplar Tree's are about a foot and a half to two feet tall. I think what I am going to do is wait till the deer hammer away at the plot and hopefully they will be the tallest plants left. Then I am going to try to either mow them down or try to kill them (which I have no idea how). The only thing I am concerned about them now is they are stealing valuable moister and sunlight from the rest of my plot.

Sprayed and dug up about 1 acre of my plots.

I am going to reseed with chicory and clover.

It won't hurt to mow your clover, not sure about repeated mowings and how poplars react- may want to talk to local extension office or district forester. I've killed off some invasive sumac, rose with repeated mowing.

What do you mean right on the money? With talking to the Local Extension Office and/or the Forester or mowing it down? Never thought about the Forester. I've met him. Pretty decent guy. THANKS

To kill the popular (or any tree for that matter) you can cut it off and treat the stump with tordon which can be purchased at most farm supply stores. Just need to apply the tordon within about an hour so it will get drawn down and kill the roots. This may be a labor intensive solution depending upon how many trees you are talking about but is a 'sure thing' and won't wreak collateral damage on the desirable plants in your food plot...

Top Bottom