Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunter ed

L

loesshunter

I was wondering if anyone knows how one can become certified to become a volunteer hunter ed instructer. Is their an age limit? This is something i've wanted to do for a while, but never have looked into much. Any info would be much appreciated.

Loesshunter

I was an hunter ed instructor a few years ago. What you need to do is contact your local DNR Officer, or who ever is putting on a hunter ed course in your area. The Officer will interview, and I belive, run a back ground check on you. Than next spring, you will attened a course put on by the regional RSO that last about 4 hours. After that you will team teach with an instructor for a few classes, and become a certifide instructor. You have to attened a class every couple years to keep your instructor status. Your time is all voluntary, but worth your time! I helped out mostly on the live fire range, helping kids shoot .22's, and let me tell you, you get paid back ten fold when a kid shoots his/her first group, and turns around and gives you a big SMILE! I would highly recomend it, and the DNR really appreciates it. If Blind Sow sees this post, he will be able to give you some better info.

Call the DNR's office in Des Moines for more info, ask for Sonny Satre. Minimum age is 18. It's a good program to get involved with.

Sonny Satre has retired. The new DNR Recreational Safety Coordinator is Rod Slings and he can be reached at (515) 281-8652. Rod would be able to give the name of your local RSO to start the process.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Top Bottom