Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunter Orange

B

BrunoBuck

Does anyone know where in the regulations does it tell how much orange you have to wear while in the field hunting with a shotgun or muzzeloader? I would like to read what it says, the only thing I found on the DNR website is you have to wear hunter orange but not how much. One person in our group was told by an officer that he didn't have enough orange on with a vest and stalking hat. Also is camo orange ok to use?

BB

To quote the regulations:

Deer hunters’ orange apparel. When hunting deer with firearms you are required to wear one or more of the following articles of visible, external, solid blaze orange clothing: a vest, coat, jacket, sweatshirt, sweater, shirt or coveralls.

The instructors for my son's hunter safety class emphasized that it had to be a full vest at a minimum, technically no shoulder patches or even an emblem, if an officer chose to be literal. Also, camo orange definitely is not considered adequate (see SOLID BLAZE ORANGE).

Not knowing the full specifics, it would seem that a substantive vest combined with a solid blaze hat/cap SHOULD be adequate to make you visible, and hence in conformance with the intent of the law, i.e. be visible so you're not mistaken for game. The DNR officer has some discretion, could be strict: OTHO, if too picky a judge would in all probability throw out a citation if issued and you chose to fight. Ultimately, the rule is for our protection, not in anyone's best interests to "cheat" on this one.

[This message has been edited by GDCooper (edited 01-07-2002).]

A vest and stocking hat should be enough, that's all I've ever worn and when I've been checked I was ok. If you're worried go with a full orange coat and hat, you'll be ok then. As far as camo orange I'm pretty sure it has to be solid blaze orange to be legal.

MW

The blaze orange law requires all gun hunters (shotgun and muzzleloader--both early and late season muzzleloader) to wear one of the following articles of external, visible, SOLID (my emphasis) blaze orange apparel: vest, jacket, coat, sweatshirt, sweater, shirt or coverall.

Everything listed basically covers the upper torso. SOLID blaze orange means just that-- no mesh orange vests much like road workers wear in the summer. Tests have shown that compared to solid blaze orange it doesn't even come close to being as visible.

SOLID also means no other color. The most common problem here is someone buys an upland game bird vest that has some duck brown color along with varying amounts of blaze orange.

SOLID also means Camo blaze orange is not legal.

This past deer season we (in southwest IA) seemed to come across more of these examples than in years past. It seemed that almost every hunter we talked to had bought their vest at Walmart.

Iowa has no minimum amount of inches. Some western states have a requirement of 400 sq. inches and such but Iowa doesn't. As long as one of the above mentioned articles of clothing is worn the hunter is legal.

A hat is NOT listed as an accepted article of clothing. It used to be many years ago, but the problem with that was some people would cover the hat with a hood or it was so old that it was, at best, a dingy orange, and not visible at all. If someone wants to wear a blaze orange hat that's great but, by itself, it' not legal.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Top Bottom