Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting the Hunters

blake

Life Member
I spent 4 hours screaming on Saturday, several different locations miles apart.

First location I saw the coyote coming to the call at 600 + yards. The coyote got down wind of me at 400 yards and the jig was up.

Second spot I called for 20 minutes. I could smell a female coyote in estrus downwind from me, but never put eyes on her. So I decided to leave the spot.

As I crossed a small ditch on the way back to the pick-up I ran head on into a big dog coyote trying to seek in downwind of me (40 yards). He was as surprised as I was!

Of course I wasn’t carrying my shotgun, and I had my R-15 slung over my shoulder. He made it out of sight by the time I got the R-15 off my shoulder and up into a shooting position.

Total time calling 80 minutes, travel time and getting into a new set up at different locations 160 minutes: Coyotes seen 2, shots taken 0.

I had a great time being out in the elements, and there is nothing IMO like hunting the hunters.

One of my favorite things to do!! Been doing it for 34 years. Chasing with trucks is ok but not near as exciting as seeing them heading your way from several hundred yards away and then having them in your lap. I love the look in their eyes when they know they have been had.

My ole man and I went on Saturday.

1 set called one accross the pond. When I went to swing on him I got hung up on multiflora rose and he stopped. Naturally behind a huge tree. I shot just as he crested the pond damn but missed. I think he was already over when I shot.

Moved a half mile. Put the call on and had a big owl about attack my dad. A few minutes later I heard the 22-250 roar and seen a coyote doing doughnuts out in the field.

3rd set. Had one come right in a string but couldn't see him. Heard him running right through the grass about 40 yards out. Thought I seen another one accross the creek.

4th set nothing.

All in all a good night.

One of my favorite things to do!! Been doing it for 34 years. Chasing with trucks is ok but not near as exciting as seeing them heading your way from several hundred yards away and then having them in your lap. I love the look in their eyes when they know they have been had.

image.php

I hear you, I also have been hunting coyotes & Red fox for many years.

Shot my first coyote at age 15 with a borrowed .243. I will turn 61 in March, so I have been at it a while.

I have hunted coyotes about every way possible that I think of. I even did some gunning out of a helicopter years ago when I lived out west with the president of the Wyoming Sheepherders Association-maybe it was the Sheep Growers Association, I don't remeber?

I have hunted fox and coyote with trail hounds and tracking collars from pickups with C.B. radios.

I like glassing for spot and stalk opportunities to catch a predator napping, or walking a fresh track and trying to get the jump on a critter.

However I truly am fascinated with screaming the predators into a call. Something about seeing the target animal up close and personal, and it wants to eat you.

Even when I don’t call one in it is exciting to me; there are so many different species that will respond to a call. Not all are legal to shoot, but they will come to the scream, hawks, owls, crows, cats, dogs, cows, deer, and almost any other animal you can think of may respond.

Did I mention feral cats…………………. :D

Last edited:
I hunted them with trucks and C.B.s for a lot of years I can't lie every weekend this time of year I have flashbacks and miss it terrible our group kind of just fell apart. I can remember not being able to sleep on a Friday night if there was snow on the ground and knew everybody was going those were good times for sure

I hunted them with trucks and C.B.s for a lot of years I can't lie every weekend this time of year I have flashbacks and miss it terrible our group kind of just fell apart. I can remember not being able to sleep on a Friday night if there was snow on the ground and knew everybody was going those were good times for sure

I also enjoyed hunting with friends and the pick-ups don’t get me wrong.

However as the price of fuel went up and the price of fur down……………………… :(

I also enjoyed hunting with friends and the pick-ups don’t get me wrong.

However as the price of fuel went up and the price of fur down……………………… :(
Yeah the fur price never bothered us but I think everybody getting older realising that they probably had more productive things to do on a weekend then burn expensive gas and tear up trucks over a two dollar coyote. I would probably have to say out of all the things that I used to do in the outdoors that I miss coyote chasing the most those sunny winter days all the wildlife you would see and the excitement level when you would here those magic words "ok I got a copy on a coyote" :way:

Second spot I called for 20 minutes. I could smell a female coyote in estrus downwind from me, but never put eyes on her. So I decided to leave the spot.
You must be like "COMMANDO" :D
I am with you guys. Love everything about coyote hunting. Calling, chasing, tracking....cannot get enough. Good stuff guys.

I went out Saturday morning also. Calm and quiet but the snow with its layer of ice was too dang crunchy! Had two large bald eagles soar overhead looking for an easy meal. I never have to kill something to have a good time out calling! :way:

Calling coyotes is something I've always wanted to try. We seem to have an abundance of them! Do you guys use mouth blown calls or electronic callers? Is one better than the other?

I like the electronic callers...draws the attention off my location. I wish I had more time to get out and hunt them. I did just set up a new predator rifle so that may motivate me to get it done more often.

Calling coyotes is something I've always wanted to try. We seem to have an abundance of them! Do you guys use mouth blown calls or electronic callers? Is one better than the other?

I actually use both mouth blown and electronic calls. I get great satisfaction calling in a critter with a mouth blow call.

I am with Shredder however, the electronic call with remote, placed well away from me keeps the target critter focused on the caller and I can get away with a little movement if needed.

I usually turn off the electronic caller when the target is within a 150 yards and mouse squeak it in the rest of the way………or just shoot it. :grin:

I made a call holder for all of my calls/howlers, as it was a mess trying to keep them organized, and the reeds need protected. I have only done two setups this year, and nothing yet, except crows and hawks coming in.

2akafj7.jpg

Top Bottom