Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last day!!

Buckhunter

How did the last day go?I have gotten or help get a couple bird's on the last day.
What a great last morning weatherwise,I don't think it could be much more perfect then it is this morning!
Never give up!!

The last day for me was the most excitement I've had out in the Turkey woods this year. I started off with my father and I receiving gobbles back to the calls we were making and the tom was getting closer, then it went all bad. We had 2 does come up behind us and start blowing, stomping, and head bobbing at us. They and caught our sent and I woke up to the sound of the blowing and stomping. When they finally left we never herd anything again. When it came to lunchtime we had made up our mind that it wasn't worth it to stay but we'd go eat and come back to a friend’s house (guides for Thunder Valley Outfitters and owners and guides for their own guiding establishment 3M Outfitters is Decatur county). After eating we came ask and we talking to them when the son came back and said he ha seen a bird for me to go shoot as long as we could get out ahead of it. Well we go there, never saw that bird, busted 2 bucks that have antlers already outside of their horns, and a doe. When we find a fence line and sit down and no more than 2 minutes later (4:27 pm) I had spotted 2 average toms or big jakes moving away from us. We called and they didn't make an attempt to come over to us. When we herd a hen yelping out in front we called and we had a tom answer back to us 300 yards up the hill, and every call we made, he gobbled right back to us and he was getting closer. 15 minutes later we spotted him and once he got into the opening he was spitting, drumming, and strutting every chance he could. He finally got to 30 yards and my friend softly yelped at him and he cut lose right there with a bone chilling gobble. He came to 25 yards and my friend putted and told me to shoot, I couldn't due to a tree and brush is my way. The tom took 2-3 more steps and my friend putted and told me to shoot, that tree and brush was still in my way. Finally he got around that brush and tree, my friend putted, he put his head up and BOOM.............
wink.gif
he laid there stone cold not moving at all.

The BPS 12 put him down and 25 yards with federal 3" #5's.

He had bred A LOT with all his feathers on his breast bone missing and he's wings and tail feathers we also all beat up.

I had my second bird, and he had a 10" beard, 1 1/2 spurs, and he weighed 22 pounds, but all of his breast sponge was gone and we had gutted him already when we weighed him.

THANKS TO MY DAD FOR TAKING ME AND THANKS TO TYCE (FRIEND) & TERRY FOR CALLING AND HELPING ME HARVEST THIS BIRD.

Deerslayer

P.S. I'll post pictures when I get them.

SORRY IT’S SO LONG I WAS JUST SO EXCIDED

...the dawn of the last day found me in a western Iowa woodlot with Mike (a buddy new to turkey hunting)...we both had tags and had been hitting it pretty hard on the weekends as well as my numerous solo journeys during the week...we had heard and seen turkeys each weekend but had yet to get him close to anything except a big hen just the night before...the toms were already talkin' as we stepped out of the truck...it was a beautiful morning!...for Mike this was going to be his last hunt for the season as he had to work on that night...we set up on an open ridge top as suggested by another hunter which sounded good to us as a tom was sounding-off less than 100 yards away...another was just behind him, too!...Mike sat down at a tree 20 yard in front of me to protect the decoys...I was to protect his back...not 5 minutes after we sat down a bright red head popped over the slight rise in front of Mike, probably 35 yards out...the head disappeared and then a couple of minutes later came back into view from the left...this time he brought his buddy!...the two longbeards came within 25 yards of Mike but he was unable to get his gun ready...I think he was a little excited too!...the toms got nervous and though they did not spook they drifted off from the direction they came...all the while this was happening we had two toms gobbling to the west (right)of us...Mike thinking the two longbeards might come back moved a little to his left and got his gun ready...he was feeling fine until he caught movement to his right...one of the toms had snuck up on us and was 15 yards away when it saw Mike slowly moving his head, gave the alarm putt and vanished!...things were kinda quiet for a while after that...when all of a sudden a Tom gobbles to the east (left) of us...we got him closer but couldn't get him to cross the ravine that separated us...just as time was winding down on us a group of jakes came up from behind us...too far back for Mike to have a shot...so I decided to take one after a 4th season full of passing up jakes...Mike has a 3 year-old son that was tired of his Dad and me not bringing home a bird...so I did the honors..not what most turkey hunters would consider a trophy but you should have seen the look in his kid's eyes when Dad was finally able to tell him that we got a bird!...it was worth it...we even had time to clean up and make it to church!...

Nice going bud,persistance will work sometime's,it's tuff to get up at 4am everyday for day's at a time but everyday you go I think I'm just that much closer to gett'en it done and no matter how the day before went I'm alway's excited to get back out there the next day!
GOOD JOB!

Here are some more pictures of my turkey!

Turkey-2002-2.jpg

These spurs were 1 1/2"!!!!!!

Turkey-2002-Spurs.jpg

Here's a picture of Tyce (friend) and I with my last day bird! Tyce(Right) & I (left)

C%20&%20T%20Turkey-2002.jpg

Top Bottom