Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late bow season

MadisonB&C

Just looking for some tips on the late season.
Food will be key, but how should it be hunted (staging areas, trails, etc.)? Are the big boys likely to use heavy traffic trails, or should I keep an eye out for those faint, hard to see trails? I've read just about everything I can on deer hunting, but nothing really seems to clarify.
Post anything, I'm all...um...eyes.

Late season is pretty much a food driven situation as you noted. Evening hunts are usuallly the most productive. Get between the bedding area and the food. If they are passing too late try easing closer to the bedding area. You may be able to hunt right next to or in the food source but have a way of sneaking out without educating the deer.

If temperatures stay warm seeing the big guys in shooting light will be difficult. There is always a chance one will be checking doe fawns and unbred does. If we get a really cold spell everything will hit the food earlier in the evening.

The main thing is to get out there and have some fun. I'm looking forward to putting a few more tags on arrowed does. One of the great things about late muzzleloader season is that you can still shoot deer with a bow.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Old Buck

Good Advice Old Buck...as always.

I would add one thing. When the late season really gets kicked in and the cold hits, the deer will bed closer and closer to those food sources Old Buck mentioned. So go in slow and easy the deer may be bedded right on the fence line on the edge of the field! I've seen it many times. That is when it really gets to be a challenge and matching wits with a bruiser are very rewarding. 5 more days, can't wait.

Good Luck
Pupster

Top Bottom